Middle meramec walleye

Hog Wally

10 hours ago, timinmo said:

Hey, you did not say what you were catching them on.  I am sure this is just an oversight on your part.

My lack of articulation makes my posts short and always lacking of a good story line 🤔. But hopefully the cool pics make up for the lack of info? Lol.  I’ve been catching them on a new TackleHD pronto type bait that we have been working on.  So far, it’s a homerun.  I can’t wait to fish for hybrid stripers with it. It definitely passed the test for bass.  

I bring up crankbaits because, a few years back you mentioned you catch them on shad raps.  Since that time, I have caught a few walleyes down below valley park.  I caught 1 on a jerkbait, and the other 4 have all been tossing a flicker shad.  Most often I use a jig worm, jerkbait, or a keitech on a jig head, but oddly enough have not caught walleye on them (save the jerkbait fish), but they seem to eat a flicker shad ok.  Mine have all been less than 20 inches long, but i saw a guy fishing minnows under a bobber once, and in his bucket he had 5 or 6 small sunfish, and 1 walleye that was at least 25 inches, probably bigger.  Biggest eye ive ever seen in real life, looked to me like 8 or 10 lbs.  There are some giants swimming around there. 

7 hours ago, top_dollar said:

I bring up crankbaits because, a few years back you mentioned you catch them on shad raps.  Since that time, I have caught a few walleyes down below valley park.  I caught 1 on a jerkbait, and the other 4 have all been tossing a flicker shad.  Most often I use a jig worm, jerkbait, or a keitech on a jig head, but oddly enough have not caught walleye on them (save the jerkbait fish), but they seem to eat a flicker shad ok.  Mine have all been less than 20 inches long, but i saw a guy fishing minnows under a bobber once, and in his bucket he had 5 or 6 small sunfish, and 1 walleye that was at least 25 inches, probably bigger.  Biggest eye ive ever seen in real life, looked to me like 8 or 10 lbs.  There are some giants swimming around there. 

I like flicker shads but they spin out in very fast flow.  There’s your tip ? 

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lot of high-quality info in that one little sentence.

I was lucky enough to have HW share some tips with me a few years back, and I managed to luck into a sauger before moving away.

Wish I would've had a chance to fish the Valley Park area when I was back this year. But it was blown out, and there were crappie to chase. I might try applying his techniques to the Yellowstone this year.

WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Time spent fishing is never wasted.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:32 PM, Kayser said:

There's a lot of high-quality info in that one little sentence.

I was lucky enough to have HW share some tips with me a few years back, and I managed to luck into a sauger before moving away.

Wish I would've had a chance to fish the Valley Park area when I was back this year. But it was blown out, and there were crappie to chase. I might try applying his techniques to the Yellowstone this year.

It’s all about the flow!   When I fish for walleye, I usually fish where most people would pass by and not give it a second glance. These fish set up on very predictable locations when they feed.  This morning I look at the river and it dropped to almost perfect walleye conditions 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It's been many, many years since I've pulled in a Walleye. And I fish the meramac a lot for smallies. What's a good method, if someone wanted to target these fish? Or at least have a reasonably decent chance at pulling one in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, Keiththom said:

It's been many, many years since I've pulled in a Walleye. And I fish the meramac a lot for smallies. What's a good method, if someone wanted to target these fish? Or at least have a reasonably decent chance at pulling one in.

If I catch an eye while fishing for smallies, more often then not, it seems they strike at the boat. Try fishing further down the current structure, channel side. Stay in contact with the bottom.

I'd love to have a discussion on river Walleye, not specific to watershed. The past few years, I've been poking around for them a little more. I find it fascinating how different species relate to current.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, Keiththom said:

Find current that’s too violent to safely fish. In specific weather conditions and or times of the day, the walleye will be there feeding.  1’to 10’ water, depends on conditions.