Trolling flicker shads question

5bites

5 gallon buckets are the cheap method but cumbersome to store. 

I think I bought mine at cabelas back years ago they are big and yellow. They don't get used often so I wasn't overly concerned with buying super high rated bags. Basically one rope tied to the front cleat off the front of the bag and one tied to the back of the bag and to the back cleat on the boat(you'll want the back rope to dump them). I try to keep mine positioned in the front half of my boat so they are out of the way when landing fish. 

2 bags slows my boat to less than .5mph at idle. They will pull you around a bit but they also stabilize the boat a bunch too. The only problem I've ever had was I had a big wake boat run by close and the bags helped to pull the front end down into the next wave vs. just bouncing. Hindsight and knowing what I know now I would have jumped up and dumped them really quick. 

I still prefer the trolling motor since you don't have to man the helm but like I said it has saved me several times. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Devan S. said:

What make and model are those rods?

Those are 14’ Ozark signature series. The guy I fish with runs 16’s, also Ozark signatures. 

Pushing under a heavy heavy weight is the way to go imo. We rarely will have more than 50’ of line out. Usually ~20’. That business with running them 300’ behind the boat or 50/50 with a clip on just sounds like too much work. 

38 minutes ago, hambandit said:

Those are 14’ Ozark signature series. The guy I fish with runs 16’s, also Ozark signatures. 

Pushing under a heavy heavy weight is the way to go imo. We rarely will have more than 50’ of line out. Usually ~20’. That business with running them 300’ behind the boat or 50/50 with a clip on just sounds like too much work. 

your just putting your weight a couple feet ahead of the bait almost like running a bottom bouncer for eyes? 

How would those rods hold up to say a 5+ lb walleye if a guy was to hook one?

5 hours ago, Targa98 said:

I agree, the only reason I was forced to run around 3 is because my trolling motor battery had died and I was not ready to go home yet. So I was forced to save a little battery and try to run the motor as slow as I could. We did catch a few that way so I'm not going to say it did not work but it's like you said that would pull out of their mouth usually and we just be stuck with the rear hook still in. I don't get to go nearly as often as I would like so when I'm not ready to leave I will do almost anything I can just to stay on the water. LOL

A set up like this works well. I have one somewhere that I'd make someone a heck of a deal on, if I can remember where I put it! Have a kicker now, so no need for it. All good info guys!

WM

th.jpg

7 hours ago, Walleyedmike said:

A set up like this works well. I have one somewhere that I'd make someone a heck of a deal on, if I can remember where I put it! Have a kicker now, so no need for it. All good info guys!

WM

th.jpg

I have a kicker w/troll master that makes removes any of the above concerns about batteries or speed.  If it gets too windy I can use the trolling motor as well for bow control - boat control is now not such a battle.  

Mike

• Members

With my 150 Merc and two 32" drift socks, I hit 2 mph on the nose every time. I got approval from the 'minister of finance' to get a kicker motor, but I don't want to stop fishing just yet to have it installed. I'll wait for the dog-days of August.

I also use a tri-swivel and weight if I want to go deeper. A lure dog works well for me to get everything back. It's definitely paid for itself many times over. Anything deeper than 20' and I'm using bottom bouncers and trolling with electric at about 0.9-1.0 mph

• Members
23 hours ago, Devan S. said:

your just putting your weight a couple feet ahead of the bait almost like running a bottom bouncer for eyes? 

How would those rods hold up to say a 5+ lb walleye if a guy was to hook one?

We run 25lb or so braid for main line to a snap swivel. Attach weight to swivel. 4-5’ flouro leader to bait also on swivel. I haven’t tied into anything heavy yet but my buddy had a huge carp on that eventually threw the hook at the boat. 

Those rods have an enormous amount of flex. I’ve got hung up and been completely doubled over to the point I was sure I was gonna break one, but nothing popped. I wouldn’t be scared at all of a 5lb walleye. You definitely need a good lightweight extendable net and running that setup solo would be rough. It really works best with three guys in the boat that way one dude can man the back rods and unhook as needed. We normally swap out so everyone gets a chance in the hot seats. Front generally produces way more than the back.