Lets Talk MLF

STLbassbuster

This format will definitely change up what past history has shown for these guys.  Running up a river to catch 16 lbs wont do much good if 5 or 10 is all you can catch.  With a one pounder counting, my bet is several will find SM and K's in bunches and catch a ton of them.  With post spawn in effect they will be eating somewhere all day.  I bet the junk fishermen that cover water and then set down when they find em, will play great here.  Martens, Ike,  Skeet, and even Bobby Lane do this well.  

A lake with as many short fish that weigh one lb like table rock will be interesting for sure.  With big five out of play, I am interested  for sure. 

B. Foz

Ike practiced around me this morning for about an hour. He is a machine at eliminating water and options. It takes him less than 2 seconds to go from setting down behind the steering wheel to making his first cast. The guys I seen did not seem dialed in yet, they reminded me of a tourist. But they eliminate options very quick. Some seem to still be in the biggest 5 mode vs numbers. There could be some 100# bags, but that would probably take an excellent topwater bite that goes on for a few hours, then shift gears to the Ned jig. The wind blew today so that might mislead a few guys.

1 hour ago, Dock-in-it said:

Ike practiced around me this morning for about an hour. He is a machine at eliminating water and options. It takes him less than 2 seconds to go from setting down behind the steering wheel to making his first cast. The guys I seen did not seem dialed in yet, they reminded me of a tourist. But they eliminate options very quick. Some seem to still be in the biggest 5 mode vs numbers. There could be some 100# bags, but that would probably take an excellent topwater bite that goes on for a few hours, then shift gears to the Ned jig. The wind blew today so that might mislead a few guys.

Having watched many an MLF, I am a believer in speed, catch a fish, weight it, release it, and get up there and get that next cast in.  Some of the guys seem to be good at fast tempo fishing, others not so much.  

I could be totally wrong on the James River, but I don't see it being a factor.  As someone mentioned this is numbers not quality.  James for the most part is very seldom a numbers bite nor is the Kings.  White River always holds numbers and thats why 90% of the guide trips are on it year round.

Watson had a pretty good Fall derby here several years ago, but I don't think a frog or a Wooper Pooper is gong to win this deal.  KVD struggles here.  I looked up his history of everything he has fished here and he usually comes in around 40th.  That is over a huge bunch of tournaments from the Bush deals to top 150's to Elites to just about everything, including several BPS tournaments.

Someone is going to find a concentration deep, that have just started to move.  As we have talked about the banks have had quite a bit of pressure and its really time for the deep bite to start, especially with this hot weather warming the water column.  I think the flow is the only thing holding that back right now.

11 minutes ago, Bill Babler said:

I could be totally wrong on the James River, but I don't see it being a factor.  As someone mentioned this is numbers not quality.  James for the most part is very seldom a numbers bite nor is the Kings.  White River always holds numbers and thats why 90% of the guide trips are on it year round.

Watson had a pretty good Fall derby here several years ago, but I don't think a frog or a Wooper Pooper is gong to win this deal.  KVD struggles here.  I looked up his history of everything he has fished here and he usually comes in around 40th.  That is over a huge bunch of tournaments from the Bush deals to top 150's to Elites to just about everything, including several BPS tournaments.

Someone is going to find a concentration deep, that have just started to move.  As we have talked about the banks have had quite a bit of pressure and its really time for the deep bite to start, especially with this hot weather warming the water column.  I think the flow is the only thing holding that back right now.

As in it’s keeping them from suspending as much or the flow is keeping them setup on the shallower stuff?

Both.  The flow will disrupt the creation of a thermocline through sheer volume of movement and really it has not been warm enough.  With it being 86 today I'm sure we will see surface temps rising into the 70's.  But on another note, it is time to see post spawn movement and they will again start to school and move onto main lake points and bluffends to chase

Excellent article,thanks for posting.  On another note go to MLF and read the fishing lesions a ride around with KVD.  If the guy that wrote it got paid it is a travesty of justice.

Horrible piece with absolute nothing of value to anyone.   I guess I'm going to start fishing grass for staging and post spawn fish.

Im going to go with Wheeler and MDJ and Connell, i love to watch these guys compete against each other as friends also.  Wheeler is a great TW guys and DC just has a couple top tens already.  MDJ will finese and get the numbers he needs to make the cut as will Wheeler.

1 hour ago, Bill Babler said:

Excellent article,thanks for posting.  On another note go to MLF and read the fishing lesions a ride around with KVD.  If the guy that wrote it got paid it is a travesty of justice.

Horrible piece with absolute nothing of value to anyone.   I guess I'm going to start fishing grass for staging and post spawn fish.

I read it yesterday and also thought it was useless.