Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Quillback said:

The infamous blackflies, used to get them in Massachusetts, but never got swarmed by them.  They are supposedly really bad in Maine during the spring.  

My lake up north is still loaded with em.  Never experienced them in Missouri though.  Boy we did in Minnesota.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

My lake up north is still loaded with em.  Never experienced them in Missouri though.  Boy we did in Minnesota.  

I know people up in Maine would wear the equivalent of a hazmat suit when going fishing in the spring.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got back from a week in NW Ontario...worst I have seen.  Couple of guys had allergic reactions and swelled up from so many bites...and they were wearing headnets, etc.  Black flies and B-52 skeet’s.  I hate wearing that crap so I wore 100% DEET and pretty much swatted full time.

Caught lots of fish as usual, so it was worth it.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nomolites said:

Just got back from a week in NW Ontario...worst I have seen.  Couple of guys had allergic reactions and swelled up from so many bites...and they were wearing headnets, etc.  Black flies and B-52 skeet’s.  I hate wearing that crap so I wore 100% DEET and pretty much swatted full time.

Caught lots of fish as usual, so it was worth it.

Mike

What kind of fish 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

What kind of fish 

Walleye primarily, Northerns and Whitefish as bonus fish.  Would like to have worked on some Lake Trout but the weather was pretty tough for boat control with limited gear as this was a fly In outing.  No giants - best  walleye was 7, had a handful of 5s as well. 

Mike

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried going out for a bit yesterday and got absolutely swarmed... With the flood water up as they are I think this will continue for a while.  The info I've seen in these everyone calls them buffalo gnats.  Not that many biting gnats, but these are the ones I'm pretty sure.  Didn't want to risk my eyes again so called it quits.  May need to try a net I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JestersHK said:

I tried going out for a bit yesterday and got absolutely swarmed... With the flood water up as they are I think this will continue for a while.  The info I've seen in these everyone calls them buffalo gnats.  Not that many biting gnats, but these are the ones I'm pretty sure.  Didn't want to risk my eyes again so called it quits.  May need to try a net I guess...

Bought a head net two weeks ago.  It’s not great but I haven’t been bit since.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another reminder fellas to take sun exposure seriously.  Wife drug me to the dermatologist yesterday and he ended up doing a biopsy off my nose for a spot I've had for about 3 years now... I'm only 39 but my dad's had 3 surgeries on his nose already so I let them cut me.

I'll find out in a week if it's cancerous or not, fingers crossed is all we can do at this point...

It's a hard spot for me to keep covered or sun screened as it's right where my glasses sit on the hump of my big ol broken nose.

IMG_20190614_111901.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.