OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Seth Clarkson

Power Pro Size Question

From  my experience about any size braid will dig into itself if not properly spooled on the reel.  Has to be wound on TIGHT imo . I don't have a spooling station so I typically spool up with line running through my fingers.  When the spool is filled I then tie the loose end to a tree and walk out all the braid then reel it back onto the reel with a lot of tension from the tree as I walk back. No problems with line digging. I use 30lb braid for 1/2oz or bigger baits, 12lb mono for smaller stuff. No leader

1 minute ago, Bill Babler said:

If your only using a short piece of mono as a leader the stretch you would get would be minimal.  You also will have to knot it to the braid and hear that horrible sound of it blasting thru the guides.  As far as the 20#, its cast ability.  You can throw 20 a mile and 30 only a half mile.

As I mentioned neither myself or anyone that has fished with me in my boat has ever ran a hook thru braided line on top water and thats using a spook, fin, yellow magic, wake shad or any other top water.  If your repeatedly hooking the braid I don't quite under stand that.  I can tell you to stop the bait as it decends toward the water rather than throwing it and letting the line fall and puddle all around it.  That would be my only guess.

I might have to try some lighter braid on baitcasters.  I had issues with it digging, and can't ever seem to get it on tight enough to avoid that.

I am not a huge fan on the baitcasters, 247 would know more than me about that for sure, I use it for frogs and spooks on a bait caster and fins on spinning and that is just about it.  Again like you and 247, no leader.  I have not had it dig in as bad on top water as it does on an Alabama Rig.  I just flat quit using it on the A-Rig and I have talked and fished with a ton of others that took it off their A-rig rods.  As heavy as an A-Rig is I can throw it as far as I need with 30 lb. Maxi and it is stronger then a tree stump.  I don't think I have lost one in 2 or 3 years.

This may be a dumb question but the line ratings on reels are whats recommended right like the bait weights on rods? I am assuming this is based on line diameter and spool size but was just curious if going lighter than what is listed doesn't matter, but going higher does. 

I have had braid tangle in the hooks when throwing a spook, have also had it happen with mono also but not as often as with braid. I was one that would use a short piece of mono to minimize this happening, but as Bill Babler  stated the knot gets some wear passing through the guides. I have found a better mouse trap that all should be excited about. Here it is: Tie straight to the braid ( makes Bill Babler smile) now use a magic marker and run it down the braid from the lure 6 to 12 inches and it will stiffen the braid to keep the hooks from tangling ( Seth Clarkson will be happy now). There I've solved all your braid to topwater issues. One last thing my spook setup is : falcon low rider lcd 5-167 weightless worm 6' 7", 6.4 preferred to 7.1 ratio reel, 30 preferred to 40 lb. power pro super slick, depending on the lure use either a snap or loop knot to tie lure to braid,  instead of using a magic marker I usually use a spike-it pen in light blue to stiffen the braid

1 hour ago, Seth Clarkson said:

This may be a dumb question but the line ratings on reels are whats recommended right like the bait weights on rods? I am assuming this is based on line diameter and spool size but was just curious if going lighter than what is listed doesn't matter, but going higher does. 

The line rating on the rod suggests what load the rod can stand. As Bill suggested, if you set the drag to avoid tear-outs, you will also protect the rod from overloading.

By the way, I run 10# Finatic on my Ned rod and it has a Revo MGX baitcaster. Works just fine.

As mentioned above be sure you wind the line on with some tension to avoid digging in, and be sure you do not wind it on over mono. The mono squishes and gives under the braid which worsens the digging in problem. I use cheap braid fishing line as the base for the working line braid.

With braid I always set the drag loose enough that a good hook set will slip it, even on crappie and walleye.  If in doubt I will loosen it a bit and go old school and lay a finger against the spool if some big grabs it and run.

I tried power pro and Sunline braid and braid to leader for topwater for a season and a half. I tried everything I could to wrap it under tension, and still had random dig-ins and reel blowups. Soaked it with KVD line and lure, and I would even run it out behind the boat to get good tension on a rewind, and finally got sick of it, pulled it off, and went with Sunline Defier Armillo mono.

Defier Armillo is designed for topwater, and is an extra low stretch, high floating mono, and gives me most of the hookset and lure control benefits I thought I was getting from braid, with none of the dig-ins. Good old green Berkley Big Game is also darn good topwater line, if the sticker shock on the Sunline Defier Armillo is too bad. 

Braid on spinning, sure thing, braid on baitcasting is just too much frustration for me. Some really great fishermen use it, but I just can't make it consistently work, either on topwater or Arigs as Bill said. 

Good Luck! 

9 hours ago, mixermarkb said:

I tried power pro and Sunline braid and braid to leader for topwater for a season and a half. I tried everything I could to wrap it under tension, and still had random dig-ins and reel blowups. Soaked it with KVD line and lure, and I would even run it out behind the boat to get good tension on a rewind, and finally got sick of it, pulled it off, and went with Sunline Defier Armillo mono.

Defier Armillo is designed for topwater, and is an extra low stretch, high floating mono, and gives me most of the hookset and lure control benefits I thought I was getting from braid, with none of the dig-ins. Good old green Berkley Big Game is also darn good topwater line, if the sticker shock on the Sunline Defier Armillo is too bad. 

Braid on spinning, sure thing, braid on baitcasting is just too much frustration for me. Some really great fishermen use it, but I just can't make it consistently work, either on topwater or Arigs as Bill said. 

Good Luck! 

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Defier Armilo for a while now but have always told myself mono "shouldn't" cost that much. Next time a sale pops up I might have to try a spool. What size are you using?