OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Seth Clarkson

6/15/19 Near KDock Short Report

Fished from 6 until about 11 then made a run down to Mincy but ended up turning back before a potential storm came through. With the conditions I figured it would be a good topwater day, but it didn't pan out. Only 6 total between Dad and I, one on a Whopper Plopper 75, 2 on a popper, couple on a tube and 1 on a rage bug. Didn't come up with a pattern at all. We had some other hits on whopper ploppers but only one connected. I had one that hit at the boat as I was lifting the bait out of the water otherwise I may have hooked it. 

Not sure if there is anything too this, but we seem to struggle when we see Carp or a bunch of bugs around on top of the water (typical in most shallow places when the water is up). Is this something that should try to be avoided because it is an indicator not many bass are nearby or not going to eat?  

Was there any wind at all?  When Bull is flooded like it is I throw 3 baits.  I run a spinnerbait through the bushes making contact with the branches.  I throw a Zoom Ol' Monster worm, and I throw a jig.  I have a top water tied on, but with a plopper, I don't always look for surfacing fish.  I run the bank with it and cover water.  That's the only way I've ever consistently caught them on one of those things.  The jig and worm bite should be pretty good there I'd think.

1 hour ago, Royal Blue said:

Was there any wind at all?  When Bull is flooded like it is I throw 3 baits.  I run a spinnerbait through the bushes making contact with the branches.  I throw a Zoom Ol' Monster worm, and I throw a jig.  I have a top water tied on, but with a plopper, I don't always look for surfacing fish.  I run the bank with it and cover water.  That's the only way I've ever consistently caught them on one of those things.  The jig and worm bite should be pretty good there I'd think.

Was running plopper along the bank, didn't see much surface activity. The wind was spotty so I'm sure that played a factor and most of the wind was just too much to control the boat, so it didn't help. We didn't throw a jig or worm, my dad threw a spinnervait but not very long and no bite. I had one absolutely demolish a popper around a flooded point so figured that was the right presentation. As our usual we may have just not been around fish. I was marking what I thought was a bunch of fish but couldn't determine if it was bass or carp. 

What kind of bugs?  those little silver beetle looking things that are usually in large numbers zipping around each other? 

Sometimes bass are lazy, maybe it was just one of those days where they weren't  aggressive.

Seems like the last few times I fished there was a small window of opportunity where they wanted to play, the rest of the time it was a grind and difficult.  Could be feeding heavily at night lately with this full moon too.  At least you didn't get skunked right!

If those fish were suspended in the upper column over deeper water back off them and throw a lipless crank or squarebill at them. Red eye shad  or kvd squarebill is what I throw. Sometimes trolling will get em  too.  Also experiment  with sizes.   These fish won't be around brush but usually over the channel or close to the edges of a channel where it drops..You'll  find out  pretty quickly  if they are bass.  Especially  if there's shad nearby. Sometimes they will hit a topwater too.  I think I did a couple reports on that  bite  a couple years ago ?  Should be happening  now, if not soon... 

Thanks  for reporting in!

1 hour ago, Fish24/7 said:

What kind of bugs?  those little silver beetle looking things that are usually in large numbers zipping around each other?

Those beetle things is what I'm talking about. Never seem to catch any fish around them. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not. 

On 6/17/2019 at 8:50 AM, Royal Blue said:

I think I'm headed back to Bull tomorrow, I was curious when you are throwing a jig with it flooded where you throwing? Around timber, points, rocks, flats? I assume the worm is what you were throwing around the bushes. 

29 minutes ago, Seth Clarkson said:

I think I'm headed back to Bull tomorrow, I was curious when you are throwing a jig with it flooded where you throwing? Around timber, points, rocks, flats? I assume the worm is what you were throwing around the bushes. 

It really depends.  I'll drag the jig from extremely shallow all the way out to deeper water.  On that part of the lake I find shallow fish a lot.  If the bites start coming further out toward the boat, I'll back off and not throw it quite as shallow.  I work them both a lot of the same ways.  I caught fish in 30+ deep water dragging that worm last summer too.  45 degree banks, across points, inside points, and between and in front of bushes.  In some of those cuts even in the hot weather, bass over there seem to stay fairly shallow early in the day especially if there's deeper water close by.  If they hammer and pick up that jig, a lot of times they come right at the boat taking it to deep water.  I'm rambling...