Don't ya just love

oghfm

1 hour ago, David Unnerstall said:

This just happened to me.  I was doing brakes on my '06 Dakota.  I was convinced the lug nuts were metric for a brief instant.  I could not get a 7/8's socket on some of them.  On the first one I tried to turn it without the socket fully on and rounded it -- a mistake that would make a 16-year old feel like an idiot.  I applied PB blaster every day for a week, bought a 23-mm socket, got all of them off but removed the damaged nut last -- I hammered that socket all of the way on that nut and it did turn. 

The nuts have a chrome plating, the steel on the nut rusts and expands the chrome plating.  I replaced all of them with after-market steel-only nuts.

Thanks for reading -- I do feel better but have no idea how this topic started.

They actually make specialty .5mm oversize sockets for this exact purpose. That's how big of an issue it is. 

Specifically on Dodge and Ford, although others have them too.

-Austin

4 hours ago, David Unnerstall said:

Thanks for reading -- I do feel better but have no idea how this topic started.

EXACTLY!!

And that's a major reason why many of us visit this site regularly. 

Kudos to you.

As we said in the 60's...if it feels good do it! lol.

OD

OK.  Granddad left early in the morning from the farm near Stockton in the Model T truck loaded with sheep headed for the livestock market in Springfield - So the story goes.  It was an entire day down to Springfield stopping along the road to fix flats all the way.  Back then they jacked them up, pulled the tube out from the tire and rim, cold patched them then stuck it all back together and pumped it up with a hand pump.  Tire irons were as common in cars as cup holders and air conditioners are now.  He got there late that evening, slept under the truck all night and was there for the sale the next morning.   He was fond of saying he sold the sheep for just enough money to buy a set of tires and head back home.

I don't know what year that was but the Ford was a 1916 model car that had been converted to a truck with a flat bed and 2 speed rear end.  It was said these rigs topped out at about 15 MPH.  No pictures of this outfit exist and that breaks my heart!   Granddad traded it for a radio in the late 30's.

It really is better nowadays.  Isn't it?

J Creek,

Yuuuuuuppppp !!!!!!!!!!  You are right, it is better now by a long shot. I have often said that if it weren't for foot control trolling motors I seriously do not know if I would Bass fish or not.

Some of my Great Grandpa's, Great Aunts, etc were born back in the 1800's, the stories they told were not something to give you desire for those times.

Walcrabass

12 minutes ago, fshndoug said:

Wrench I have seen your wife and I would bet she does the punching around that house.

Yeah I get no credit for buying 10 ply BFG's so that having a flat is out of the realm of possibilities.  

I could get hit by a train and the only thing recognizable would be my tires still on the wheels.

28 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Yeah I get no credit for buying 10 ply BFG's so that having a flat is out of the realm of possibilities.  

I could get hit by a train and the only thing recognizable would be my tires still on the wheels.

I bought my first set of 10 plys several years ago, never looked back.  Even order a new truck with them on it, go 80K miles out of the first set, have another 40 on the replacements.  Drive great and like you say they may be the only thing that survives a train or tornado.  I HATE flat tires, haven't had one since I switched over.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:02 PM, fishinwrench said:

I bought 2 big spools of old school 5/16 and 3/8 Gates fuel hose (the GOOD STUFF) but I'm not allowed to sell it.

I use it on all of my own stuff though. 😉

Can you even find it any more and if so what do I look or ask for?

19 minutes ago, 3DHUSKER said:

Can you even find it any more and if so what do I look or ask for?

I just use plain automotive fuel line. 

I probably wouldn't use it on an offshore rig with an enclosed bilge, but on most boats it will work just as well. I will never use that silver crap again.

-Austin