Streamer rod

Smallie Seeker

1 hour ago, ness said:

I have a confession to make. I had three donuts that day. Two glazed and one chocolate. If I keep this up I’ll be too fat to cast a streamer rod!! 😄😄😄😄*

Ness you only added the last sentence to "stay on topic" and not a gratuituos attempt to push this post to 6 pages.

Not sure what donuts have to do with a streamer fly rod. Except that you can use the butt section to hold the donuts😁!

But you can't do that with long johns or bavarian cream donuts. It would be too messy.

Apple fritters wouldn't work either. Bagels could hang on the butt end. Might throw off the balance of the rod and cause undo fatigue while casting and stripping streamers.

I use my 7 wt but don't fish streamers that often.

49 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

Ness you only added the last sentence to "stay on topic" and not a gratuituos attempt to push this post to 6 pages.

Not sure what donuts have to do with a streamer fly rod. Except that you can use the butt section to hold the donuts😁!

But you can't do that with long johns or bavarian cream donuts. It would be too messy.

Apple fritters wouldn't work either. Bagels could hang on the butt end. Might throw off the balance of the rod and cause undo fatigue while casting and stripping streamers.

I use my 7 wt but don't fish streamers that often.

Huh?

John

Have several 5-9wt rods...This big heavy streamer on fly rod stuff is laughable...A spinning rod casts 1/16oz and up allot better. A casting rod excels at 1/2oz, but can go lighter to a 1/4 oz if need be. Big light streamers....on floating or short sink tips is a bearable program on a fly rod. Figure 0-6' deep range is effective with a fly rod. Deeper than that it gets inefficient.

Sadly, it looks like this made it to the coveted six pages without my help but thanks for thinking of me.

However, I did enjoy reading all of the technical mumbo jumbo about fly rods in this thread since all I know about 'em is that they're really, really, long.

Well, that and the fact that guys that use 'em never seem satisfied with where they've made their cast since they just keep flingin' it over and over and over again.

And anybody over 60 that ain't got more than 14 clubs (plus ball retriever) in their golf bag flat ain't even tryin'!

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

13 hours ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I’m headed to Taney Sunday for the the week.  5 weight only.  9’ tip flex Helios.  

And a bunch of spinning and bait casters.😆

I’m heading down to Taney tomorrow for a Fri-Sun trip. 

Got a dentist appointment At 9am Fri. Told the boss it was a bigger job than just a cleaning so I could take the whole day off, which bought me time to stop by T Hargrove’s on the way down. 

Most likely going to leave there with whatever 7wt speaks to me. 

First thing I’m doing is tying on a glazed donut for practice. If I can flip that thing over surely I can chuck a meat fly! 😀

1 hour ago, vernon said:

Sadly, it looks like this made it to the coveted six pages without my help but thanks for thinking of me.

However, I did enjoy reading all of the technical mumbo jumbo about fly rods in this thread since all I know about 'em is that they're really, really, long.

Well, that and the fact that guys that use 'em never seem satisfied with where they've made their cast since they just keep flingin' it over and over and over again.

And anybody over 60 that ain't got more than 14 clubs (plus ball retriever) in their golf bag flat ain't even tryin'!

It happens in all sports and hobbies. We are our own worst enemies at times.

I've dwindled my stock down to 5. 1 has never seen water. 2 haven't been in at least 6 years. Another single gets use 3-4 days a year. The last one is in my car right now. It's that Redington and it goes everywhere. Bass, trout, gills, whites, and my friends in the salt down south have all been landed on it. To me it's the best thing I have ever cast. Not just the best flyrod, the best any rod. And it's only 7' 10". I love that thing. But I'm not the best caster in the world either, so somebody that can really cast probably would be happier with something better.

I did fish a Sage One 9' 7wt all day that belonged to Jeff Trigg and liked it a lot. But not more than what I already have. 

@Gavin makes a good point about weight. I probably bought an 8wt thinking I could cast more weight. But whatever I was thinking then is not what I'm thinking now. I'm done casting heavy flies. If I need to drag the depths there is better equipment than that. I have a floating line and a sink tip line. I really should buy another rod so I don't have to switch. Yeah I know about the sinking leaders and I have one but I don't like it much. Maybe it's too heavy??? But I do like that 8wt for just pushing some flies where I want them. It's great to throw a #2 gurgler. 

People make way too many false casts. You shouldn't make it that hard on yourself. But I do like the option of firing a gurgler in around some brush, giving it a few twitches, and then in one motion I can pull it completely out of there and right back in at another spot. I don't have to reel or work that bait all the way back to the boat. It's efficient. Not the easiest thing to do if you are floating in a canoe or kayak, but everything gets better with practice.

I know that's not technical, but it is my mumbo jumbo about fly fishing. Just remember that if you compare my skills to somebody like Wrench then I suck. And it would be very noticeable to even a small child. So my mumbo jumbo is weak........... but it makes me happy so I doubt I get any better.