OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Smallie Seeker

Streamer rod

6 minutes ago, ness said:

That oughta work. Do you keep a 9 weight handy in case you want to cast some #26s? :D

Actually I carry a golf bag with my legally allowed 14 sticks per the PGA rules.  I believe @vernon can verify the 14 stick rule.....

If you want to throw big articulated stuff with a sinking line or leader, I would recommend a 7 or 8 weight.  I use a 6 weight for smaller streamers.  I use an 8 weight for bigger stuff or if it's windy.

The BVK has a good reputation.  I have cast it and it has a lot of power.  You'll want heavier line to load that particular rod well so lining up a size might not be a bad idea.  Pay attention to the grain weight of whatever lines you are considering.  8 weight doesn't necessarily equal 8 weight.  Anymore, there is a bit of a range for any particular "weight" line.  Some rods respond better to heavier or lighter lines.  The video below offers a good explanation of this and might help you out.  It shows a fly shop testing a bunch of 7 weight rods with different weight lines.  The BVK is in there.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWuctYLEThU

I'm using an 8 weight Echo Ion XL for bigger streamers paired with either the 8wt RIO Big Nasty Floating line or SA Sink 30 Cold 250 gr.  Both of those lines are on the lighter end of the spectrum for 8 weight and work well for that rod.  The BVK would be on the other end of the spectrum.

My 2 cents . . . 

@snagged in outlet 3 Not sure this is going to coast all the way to 6 pages without a booster shot. Food seems to work here, so...

Yesterday somebody brought donuts to the office. Here’s my all time favorite—a glazed from LaMar’s in KC:

633B4BE6-3E88-409A-A339-463329D5BBA6.jpeg

26 minutes ago, ness said:

@snagged in outlet 3 Not sure this is going to coast all the way to 6 pages without a booster shot. Food seems to work here, so...

Yesterday somebody brought donuts to the office. Here’s my all time favorite—a glazed from LaMar’s in KC:

633B4BE6-3E88-409A-A339-463329D5BBA6.jpeg

Oh that’s nice!   I tagged @vernon  he’s good for 2 pages on a bad day😆

18 hours ago, CLoyd said:

If you want to throw big articulated stuff with a sinking line or leader, I would recommend a 7 or 8 weight.  I use a 6 weight for smaller streamers.  I use an 8 weight for bigger stuff or if it's windy.

The BVK has a good reputation.  I have cast it and it has a lot of power.  You'll want heavier line to load that particular rod well so lining up a size might not be a bad idea.  Pay attention to the grain weight of whatever lines you are considering.  8 weight doesn't necessarily equal 8 weight.  Anymore, there is a bit of a range for any particular "weight" line.  Some rods respond better to heavier or lighter lines.  The video below offers a good explanation of this and might help you out.  It shows a fly shop testing a bunch of 7 weight rods with different weight lines.  The BVK is in there.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWuctYLEThU

I'm using an 8 weight Echo Ion XL for bigger streamers paired with either the 8wt RIO Big Nasty Floating line or SA Sink 30 Cold 250 gr.  Both of those lines are on the lighter end of the spectrum for 8 weight and work well for that rod.  The BVK would be on the other end of the spectrum.

My 2 cents . . . 

Very helpful thanks!