OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Mr. Walleye

Walleyes 8/10

How do you tell the males from the females?  I'm seriously asking not trying to be funny. Great job by the way.

5 hours ago, lmt out said:

How do you tell the males from the females?  I'm seriously asking not trying to be funny. Great job by the way.

I have to open them and see if they have egg or sperm sacks.  

I am no walleye fisherman but have been in touch with Bruce (Doc) Samson several times over the years.  He is a professional walleye fisherman.  I tried to get serious about walleye for a while.  Every time I would tell him what I was doing and ask for advice his response was generally that I was not fishing deep enough to find the big females.

Thank you OD... 

I would agree about females and depth... But I think it's more temperature.  The (lower) thermocline has formed between 27' and 30'.  I would imagine there are deeper areas, maybe even spring fed that are home to a great many of the females which typically run larger than the males. 

I was reading up on that and the one consistent thing I found, was about the anal orifice. For those who want to stick your eye in there. Says the males are more round and the females is more key shaped. Someone check that out and report back. lol

48 minutes ago, liphunter said:

I was reading up on that and the one consistent thing I found, was about the anal orifice. For those who want to stick your eye in there. Says the males are more round and the females is more key shaped. Someone check that out and report back. lol

Would you be more specific.  I have dozens of keys and no two of them are shaped the same.🥴