OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Dutch

What were they after

2 minutes ago, ColdWaterFshr said:

What did you do to your knee?

Years ago I blew it out in a game of flashlight tag. :D (Medial meniscus tears and arthritis.)

1 hour ago, ness said:

I'm in the process of figuring out what to do about my bum knee. Hoping I can get another shot and make it through the fall before surgery. 

Replacement or repair? I'm to the replacement stage but I don't wanna.

When I was 17 a doctor told me I would need at least one knee replacement at 50. I thought he was a crazy old man but here we are. 

Bum knees suck. My dad had both of his replaced. Would be up for a trip. Kip wants to float the Current soon, not sure if I'll make it. Headed to a friends farm/lake property near Topeka/Wichita over Labor Day, then Montauk for Thanksgiving.

48 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

When I was 17 a doctor told me I would need at least one knee replacement at 50. I thought he was a crazy old man but here we are. 

Looking like repairs at this point, but I'm still waiting to talk to the ortho guy

Used to be you got one replacement per knee in your lifetime and they waited until you were older. I know a guy my age who's well into knee #2.

23 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Bum knees suck. My dad had both of his replaced. Would be up for a trip. Kip wants to float the Current soon, not sure if I'll make it. Headed to a friends farm/lake property near Topeka/Wichita over Labor Day, then Montauk for Thanksgiving.

Well, if the timing works out, we'd be happy to have you stop by. I'm just about 10 minutes south of I-70.

1 hour ago, Flysmallie said:

I've gotten a couple cortisone shots, the most recent one in May. On a two week vacation this summer, which included a lot of walking, I didn't have any pain whatsoever. Doc says you can't do cortisone too frequently or it accelerates the decline. Earlier this month it went downhill fast though. It's more than just the shot wearing off because it was never this bad. Don't remember any injury. There's some stuff they can shoot in your knee that's supposed to be much better and longer lasting than cortisone. Hyaluronic acid made from cock's combs. Brand names Euflexxa, Sinvisc, and others. Not covered by insurance though so it would cost me about $1,000 a year. Might do that in lieu of surgery. 

14 minutes ago, ness said:

I've gotten a couple cortisone shots, the most recent one in May. On a two week vacation this summer, which included a lot of walking, I didn't have any pain whatsoever. Doc says you can't do cortisone too frequently or it accelerates the decline. Earlier this month it went downhill fast though. It's more than just the shot wearing off because it was never this bad. Don't remember any injury. There's some stuff they can shoot in your knee that's supposed to be much better and longer lasting than cortisone. Hyaluronic acid made from cock's combs. Brand names Euflexxa, Sinvisc, and others. Not covered by insurance though so it would cost me about $1,000 a year. Might do that in lieu of surgery. 

My right one has been opened up a few times and the latest doc says the shots probably won't work. Most of the time it's fine and just aches a bit here and there. But sometimes it just quits wanting to bend or the pain is so much that you can barely walk. Then for no reason the pain will just be gone and it's all fine again. Might last a couple of days, might last 20 minutes. If I were you I would do anything to put off surgery. At 17 it wasn't a big deal. At 47 it sucked. 

33 minutes ago, ness said:

I have had one knee replaced, before replacement it wasn't too bad and all of a sudden it got so bad I had to hold on to the wall for a minute when I got out of bed in the morning.  I jacked around with the cortisone shots but looking back should've just gone with the replacement and got it over with.

If you go that hyaluronic route it will be interesting to hear how it works out for you, just in case my other knee starts going south.

Getting the knee replaced is not fun, but the pain during the rehab part was never as bad as it was before the replacement.  

Well gentlemen the BilletHeads hurt too but managed another trip west. Only in waders three times. Wet waded in ten-5 water tennies the rest. In waders because of mid 30s mornings or water deeper than the family jewels in my case and the whoo hoo in the Mrs case. 

BilletHead

10 minutes ago, BilletHead said:

Well gentlemen the BilletHeads hurt too but managed another trip west. Only in waders three times. Wet waded in ten-5 water tennies the rest. In waders because of mid 30s mornings or water deeper than the family jewels in my case and the whoo hoo in the Mrs case. 

BilletHead

Well, were you just standing around in ankle deep water next to the parking lot waiving a stick, or did you actually bushwhack and catch some fish? :D

We need a report and pics!!!!