OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Ryan Miloshewski

Taneycomo 8/10-8/17

On 8/24/2019 at 8:01 AM, trythisonemv said:

Ok thanks!  I am designing a fly box to imitate the jerk baits you guys chuck and need a depth range to know if i need my sink tip or not. I am excited gor october and my annual trip down for night time browns . Hope for better luck this year 

Depends on where, and how much generation. I have used sink tips and just a regular, ol' 6x leader when throwing streamers. They like to come up from the bottom and smash it. Granted, make sure they flash haha. 

23 minutes ago, Flysmallie said:

Yeah I'm never throwing a streamer on 6X. 6lb would be the smallest. But I ain't no trout guru or anything. 

I like to live dangerously. But I am not throwing big, articulated streamers. Mainly small pine squirrels or buggers. So, streamer is loose here.

20 minutes ago, Ryan Miloshewski said:

I like to live dangerously. But I am not throwing big, articulated streamers. Mainly small pine squirrels or buggers. So, streamer is loose here.

I usually go eight pound leader or six too. Bigger fly i may jump to ten 

5 hours ago, trythisonemv said:

I usually go eight pound leader or six too. Bigger fly i may jump to ten 

I spent a little time last Spring working bigger streamers off the bank from my boat when they were running water trying to emulate jerk bait fishing.  I found a #4 or #2 Butt Monkey did a pretty good job.  They are around 4" long.  I was fishing them with 250 grain sinking line and a short leader made of 12 inches of 20 pound Maxima and 18 inches of 12 pound.  The sinking line worked well with 2 units running.  It quickly got the fly down right where it needed to be.  I took me a while to learn to cast it though.  A sink tip wouldn't have got it there.  I'm not sure anything would get it down there if they were running 4 units.  

1 hour ago, CLoyd said:

I spent a little time last Spring working bigger streamers off the bank from my boat when they were running water trying to emulate jerk bait fishing.  I found a #4 or #2 Butt Monkey did a pretty good job.  They are around 4" long.  I was fishing them with 250 grain sinking line and a short leader made of 12 inches of 20 pound Maxima and 18 inches of 12 pound.  The sinking line worked well with 2 units running.  It quickly got the fly down right where it needed to be.  I took me a while to learn to cast it though.  A sink tip wouldn't have got it there.  I'm not sure anything would get it down there if they were running 4 units.  

PS, I didn’t name the fly.  It’s a pattern that’s been around for a while.  Anyways I think it fishes very similar to a jerkbait but am still testing it out.   Here’s what they look like.  I tied several different colors:

24CC9590-C2BE-468F-A224-C5C421516548.jpeg