Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
fishinwrench

Extended gigging season.

Recommended Posts

 

Screenshot_20190826-123130~2.png

 

Do you think it would be better to say that "Game Fish cannot be gigged" instead of just saying that game fish cannot be TAKEN ?  

Apparently there either isn't enough PUBLIC FEEDBACK expressing concerns about game fish being gigged, or the feedback being given is being ignored.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MDC loves to leave those gray areas. We pestered them for years about whether we could catch and release paddlefish since it states "taken" instead of snagged in the limit description. They could make things so much easier to understand by changing a single word and yet they refuse to do so. I'm very pro MDC, but I will hammer on them for gray areas and badly written regulations every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Seth said:

MDC loves to leave those gray areas. We pestered them for years about whether we could catch and release paddlefish since it states "taken" instead of snagged in the limit description. They could make things so much easier to understand by changing a single word and yet they refuse to do so. I'm very pro MDC, but I will hammer on them for gray areas and badly written regulations every day.

I'm reasonably sure that you can.   They aren't going to to officially announce that C&R snagging (trolling with a bare hook) is legal year round.....but I don't see how it can not be.   So go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously this annoys the heck out of the bass fishermen on the Meramec.  We just had a very good winter and early spring season for big smallmouth on the Meramec, almost certainly because the river was seldom in shape to gig last fall and winter.  Extending the season just gives the pinheads more chances to kill some big smallmouth.  I simply do not understand MDC's love affair with gigging.  I've given up on getting the season reduced, getting better enforcement of it, getting just a few sections (besides the trout water) closed to gigging for a few years to see what that does to the population of big smallmouth...but geez, let's add on to the season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Al Agnew said:

I simply do not understand MDC's love affair with gigging. 

Yeah me either.  I find it real hard to believe that giggers are big into giving "public feedback".   

Moreso than river bass guys???? BS! That's an outright lie, and I'll never be convinced otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are going to lengthen the season then their feet should be held to the fire to POLICE IT.  

And I mean ACTUALLY do it.  😐

Since when do they alter regulations because some folks giving "feedback" requested it ?     When?   Name one friggin' example of that ever happening before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish the mdc would do away with the public comment periods as well as the open houses they have any time there is a regulation change. Because in the end they're going to do whatever they wanted to do to begin with...... they actually  concluded from an on line survey that extending the season would not harm non target species? Where is the science behind that? I guess they are now considering game fish target species? Hopefully we'll have another winter of high water.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 8:31 PM, fishinwrench said:

If they are going to lengthen the season then their feet should be held to the fire to POLICE IT.  

And I mean ACTUALLY do it.  😐

Since when do they alter regulations because some folks giving "feedback" requested it ?     When?   Name one friggin' example of that ever happening before.

I have no doubt at all that they “listen to public feedback”. However, it isn’t the majority of the population they listen to, it is the majority of the $$$. You want your opinion heard and taken seriously? You better have lots of 💰

 

Don't believe me, look at the duck hunting zone boundary lines. You can’t tell me that there wasn’t somebody that had some power and influence making some illogical decisions to benefit the few special people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.