Missouri State Record Brown Trout!

Bill Babler

Congrats to you Bill on a beautiful fish. I have no doubt that you and everyone involved did everything possible to save this fish. Don't think I would of done anything different.

I was lucky enough to land a 20 lb Brown earlier this year. Had 2 of my favorite fishing partners with me. 2 of my sons. Only thing that would of been better was if my wife and other son were on the spot when I caught it(they were back at the cabin). Everyone has different opinions. The 3 of us didn't completely agree on how to handle the fish once netted but all had the same goal in mind. A healthy release. And it was accomplished. The 3 of us will rember that fish adventure the rest of our lives. Don't worry about the negative Nellies out there living like Alice in Wonderland on the internet.

I'm sorry you're sad you caught it but one day maybe you'll be glad. Karma is a wonderful thing and from the accounts above by many people that do know you, you deserve it.

"Pretty soon we may not have any rights left because it might infringe on someone's rights"

Thanks all.  In speaking with both the state and IGFA it  seems that under 5% of World Line Class, State and World Record fish can be successfully released.  Simply due to age, size and uncontrollable circumstance.

I was told as soon as that fish was hooked it had less than a 10%chance of survival even if released at the boat.  Still not much comfort there but I am satisfied in my heart we did what we could.  I was also told that the fish due to the time of the fight which was so minimal was just not built for that kind of stress and probably for the most part lived under Fall Creek or one of the commercial docks and was a carrion eater.  This would provide his great size and girth with minimal movement or effort by the fish.

On another note the fish does not qualify for a line class record as my tippet was to long.  Your tippet cannot be longer than 6' even if it is a lighter pound test and a smaller diameter than your main line.  The person at the IGFA that the Mo. Conservation Dept wanted me to speak with said he simply had no idea why this rule was in the books and it was beyond stupid but it was in there.  It would have been the new World Line Class Record for either my tippet or even my spooled 4 lb. test but because I was using tippet longer than 6' regardless of strength it did not qualify.  At this point but he was going to see.  

Really is remarkable Frank was successfully released and survived. Honestly the only record I can think of that was caught and released. Most die. Just how the cookie crumbles. Congrats, Bill, and be proud of your accomplishment!

“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless waste; to others, the most valuable part.”--Aldo Leopold

1 hour ago, Bill Babler said:

On another note the fish does not qualify for a line class record as my tippet was to long.  Your tippet cannot be longer than 6' even if it is a lighter pound test and a smaller diameter than your main line.  The person at the IGFA that the Mo. Conservation Dept wanted me to speak with said he simply had no idea why this rule was in the books and it was beyond stupid but it was in there.  It would have been the new World Line Class Record for either my tippet or even my spooled 4 lb. test but because I was using tippet longer than 6' regardless of strength it did not qualify.  At this point but he was going to see.  

Sorry about that technicality, that is just unreal. The fact that he is still checking is positive though. I hope it works out. Hang on to that set up that you caught the fish on. If they rule in your favor you will need to send it in for testing. It may be too much of a fish to let it slip though unrecorded.

Nope, they just denied the application due to the length of the tippet.  6' maximum no reason was sited and the guy I was working with has absolutely no explanation.  He thought since  smaller diameter line and the fish was caught on such light line that it should have been recorded.  He could not understand that rule nor could he explain a reason behind it. Nor could his supervisor explain it to him.  it is just a rule.

He advised when either fly or spin fishing to not use tippet in any length and on fly fishing just use leader to fly and conventional fishing either bait cast or spin to not use leader and go directly from the spool to the bait.  

This was just his suggestions as it takes the tippet length factor out of the equation. 

This would be really important when bass or walleye fishing using a braid with a carbon leader.  What if you caught the world record bass, it would not count with them if your leader was over 6'  Again the suggestion was do not use a leader, go directly main line to the bait if your wanting it to be in the books.

Good Luck

well, I guess I don't understand either the rule nor why you would want a tippet over 6' , if the tippet was 50' long it would qualify as the line and as such be eligible?  so, line is line no mater where it is in the system and the weakest link breaks. Makes that a silly rule, on the other hand small limp tippets don't straighten out well for me when over 20-30" on fly line  so 6' seems ridiculously long. I've never used a tippet over 3-4' on spin gear; does 6' or longer produce more fish? Or? 

The reason for tippet length is to present the fly at the proper depth.  Taney trout are grazers for the most part and feed almost exclusively on the bottom, especially during high light low wind situation 

it is not uncommon in the least to fish tippet lengths here as deep as 9’ to 15’ to maintain a bait or fly in approximation with the bottom.  I’ve seen Chuck Grice go as deep as 18’ during high and swift water