OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Phil Lilley

Catch a State Record Fish? Then What?

On 9/10/2019 at 8:28 AM, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I caught a slob of a hybrid striper on a fly in IL about 8 years ago.  After I let it go my buddy pulled up the state record which was around 20 pounds at the time I think.  He said "Do you think that one was close?"  I've always wondered if I let go the record.  It was every bit of 36 inches long but I just thought the state record would have been like 40 pounds or something like that. 

Did you get a picture?  I'd love to see it...I've yet to catch a Hybrid on a fly over 4lbs/20"+/-...  But I'd sure like to!

A buddy of mine caught a big one in the river a number of years ago...close to the Iowa record.

AAMJ_Wiper2.jpg

4 minutes ago, FishnDave said:

Did you get a picture?  I'd love to see it...I've yet to catch a Hybrid on a fly over 4lbs/20"+/-...  But I'd sure like to!

A buddy of mine caught a big one in the river a number of years ago...close to the Iowa record.

I did not we were whacking them pretty good and I never gave it a thought.   I've been spooled in the same spot twice since then.

11 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I did not we were whacking them pretty good and I never gave it a thought.   I've been spooled in the same spot twice since then.

Whoah!  That's crazy!  What's your preferred fly for Hybrids?  I don't get to fish for them often...when I do,  Clouser Deep Minnows have worked for me.  Always willing to try something else, though.

Apologies for the hijack.

24 minutes ago, FishnDave said:

Whoah!  That's crazy!  What's your preferred fly for Hybrids?  I don't get to fish for them often...when I do,  Clouser Deep Minnows have worked for me.  Always willing to try something else, though.

Apologies for the hijack.

Chartreuse/white clouser is the first thing I throw.  Blue/white, brown/white and even a straight purple one. 

1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

23 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Chartreuse/white clouser is the first thing I throw.  Blue/white, brown/white and even a straight purple one. 

Fake news!!! Oh that was white bass... never mind:rolleyes:.

8 hours ago, Mitch f said:

After a little advice from Wrench...I caught this hybrid a while back

FF1EC09D-0AF6-461E-8216-B492C3A33ECC.jpeg

That's a toad Mitch! My largest ever was just over 3 lbs. Yours might have eaten mine. 😌.