White river Walleye - how far up do they go

kz1983

• Members

Hi All

I was always wondering how far up the white river do the walleyes go? I have never seen one from US Highway 62 to the Bull Shoals lake dam. I usually fish that stretch of the river for trout but dont see any walleye guys out there... Sometimes on my sonar I would spot a few fish hugging the bottom and was always wondering if those were walleyes or not.. 

Walleyes are all up and down the White. From the shadow of the Bull Shoals Dam to below Buffalo City. 

However, I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that the fish you are seeing are mostly suckers. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

• Members
1 hour ago, Ham said:

Walleyes are all up and down the White. From the shadow of the Bull Shoals Dam to below Buffalo City. 

However, I’d bet dollars to doughnuts that the fish you are seeing are mostly suckers. 

Cool. Thank you. I am thinking of trying to target them durring late evening hours. 

The fish on the bottom could be suckers However I am hoping that they will turn into walleyes when im out there lol

Good Luck! I’m still trying to figure out how to catch more of the suckers. 

Double check with AGFC about legal regulations for minimum length on the walleye. I don’t think the Bull Shoals Lake regulations apply. 

I don’t believe AGFC wants the walleye in the river nearly as much as I do. I’ve caught walleye from 7 to 20 inches up and down the river. Trusted friends have seen pods of FULL Grown walleye over 20 miles below the Bull Shoals dam. 

I truly believe there is a small, but established population of walleye in the White River. I wish AGFC would augment that existing population of fish. 

The cold water won’t bother them. The fluctuating current levels won’t bother them.  The numerous grass beds will provide shelter for the fingerlings. Feeder creeks offer other opportunities for the walleye. The river has tons of food for walleye to grow quickly. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Good Luck! I’m still trying to figure out how to catch more of the suckers. 

Double check with AGFC about legal regulations for minimum length on the walleye. I don’t think the Bull Shoals Lake regulations apply. 

I don’t believe AGFC wants the walleye in the river nearly as much as I do. I’ve caught walleye from 7 to 20 inches up and down the river. Trusted friends have seen pods of FULL Grown walleye over 20 miles below the Bull Shoals dam. 

I truly believe there is a small, but established population of walleye in the White River. I wish AGFC would augment that existing population of fish. 

The cold water won’t bother them. The fluctuating current levels won’t bother them.  The numerous grass beds will provide shelter for the fingerlings. Feeder creeks offer other opportunities for the walleye. The river has tons of food for walleye to grow quickly. 

Maybe some river strains would be nice

I do not know if they are river strain but i agree there is a resident population of walleye in the white. Our group has been going there for 30 years in Feb. and every year we end up with some nice walleye while fishing for trout. And many time you can see them on the bottom as you float with the current. Seems like they migrate towards the dam to spawn and i have heard of guys targeting them in the state park at night with big jointed jerk baits. 

This past Feb i am pretty sure our group had more then any year before (but this pic is from a few years ago).

walleye.jpg

My uncle rented a place for a few days that was about a mile or so away from the dam, this was back about 5 years.  Went over there to fish with him one day and there were a couple of big walleye living underneath the dock.  You could see them but it with the current and depth you couldn't get anything down to them.