OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Xraydude

Cats and walleyes

My wife and I ran down Thursday- Saturday. ¬†I manned the trolling motor¬†and fought waves, she caught fish. ūüė° ¬†Total fishing time was cut short with the wind ¬†

We trolled with a couple crank baits and a couple bottom bouncers focusing on 22 foot mark. Caught 6 walleye but only one legal and several more catfish.  Should we have moved deeper for bigger walleyes?  Does it need to cool off a bit more?  Maybe Lmt Out had already been there??

We had a nice stay at the Cabins in Stockton, it was new to us. Our sons came up and fished a bit Saturday. Lake time with the family is the best. Wish we could visit more than couple times per year. 

8 hours ago, Xraydude said:

My wife and I ran down Thursday- Saturday. ¬†I manned the trolling motor¬†and fought waves, she caught fish. ūüė° ¬†Total fishing time was cut short with the wind ¬†

We trolled with a couple crank baits and a couple bottom bouncers focusing on 22 foot mark. Caught 6 walleye but only one legal and several more catfish.  Should we have moved deeper for bigger walleyes?  Does it need to cool off a bit more?  Maybe Lmt Out had already been there??

We had a nice stay at the Cabins in Stockton, it was new to us. Our sons came up and fished a bit Saturday. Lake time with the family is the best. Wish we could visit more than couple times per year. 

Yea, you might have been a little too deep. I was having luck in 10'-15' ten days ago. When you find a couple, pound that spot for a bit. There are often many more in the area. Slow Death on a bouncer was the ticket for me. Always remember, Lmtout can only keep four a day, so there's usually a few left for the rest of us! Also, was wondering why you focused on 22'? Fish on the graphs? Due to other obligations, I can't hit Stockton again for another three weeks, so I'll be trying to keep up with any info I can get leading up to that.

WM

I agree with Mike. For the last month and a half when we have caught fish mostly from 10 to 16 ft was the best.  I have caught very few this year deeper than 16 ft.  Dont have a clue why.  Usually 18 ft is my go to depth. And as Mike said I can only keep 4 and rarely do I keep that many.  Also there r a lot better walleye fisherman than I on the lake, I get lucky once in a while.

I am as walleye novice as it gets. Only second time I "focused" on walleye and really didn't think they would be that shallow. The waves and south wind had me out a bit farther too, on a couple points it didn't leave much room for a mistake or correction time.