Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Shoal Runner

Asian Carp

Recommended Posts

Was fishing the Gasconade last weekend around Paydown access and spooked a school of Asian carp in a slew .   Scared the daylights out of me not expecting around eight Asian jumping about a foot out of the water right next to my boat. 

 

I hope those darn things don't impact the native fish in the river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how well they do in smaller clearer rivers, at the best it can't be a good thing.  Hey more stuff for the giggers, I have heard they are tasty enough to be worth eating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:38 AM, Shoal Runner said:

Was fishing the Gasconade last weekend around Paydown access and spooked a school of Asian carp in a slew .   Scared the daylights out of me not expecting around eight Asian jumping about a foot out of the water right next to my boat. 

 

I hope those darn things don't impact the native fish in the river.

They've had to have been in there for years.  Nothing keeping them from coming up the Missouri.  Or this year for whatever reason they migrated up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do just fine in clear streams, which really worries me.  They are in nearly every pool on Joachim Creek almost up to De Soto.  I've seen them in Big River up to Bonne Terre.  Nobody knows what they'll end up doing to the ecology of these smaller, clearer streams, but I'd like to shoot the pinhead who allowed them to escape and the politicians that said it was okay to raise them.  Besides that, they are about the ugliest fish I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  "I'd like to shoot the pinhead who allowed them to escape and the politicians that said it was okay to raise them"

-Al Agnew,

I couldn't agree more, in my view this was criminal, no punishment is harsh enough.

I imagine their spread will follow the pattern of other invasive species, a boom in population followed by some equilibrium. We can only hope the equilibrium resembles what existed prior to their arrival.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Al Agnew said:

but I'd like to shoot the pinhead who allowed them to escape and the politicians that said it was okay to raise them.  Besides that, they are about the ugliest fish I've ever seen.

I know that by the mid 90's they had already made it into Apple and Saline Creeks.  However, no one in a position of importance gave a darn until they began to threaten Lake Michigan almst a decade later......  Would a more proactive approach (if one was even possible) to this problem made a difference?  Who knows.  But the one thing for certain is that ignoring the problem did absolutely nothing except bolster the population.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Greasy B said:

I imagine their spread will follow the pattern of other invasive species, a boom in population followed by some equilibrium. We can only hope the equilibrium resembles what existed prior to their arrival.

If it's anything like the lakes with tailwaters leading to the Mississippi in IL there could be literally millions of them.  Go over to Carlisle and see what's below that dam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.