Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Seth Clarkson

Fall Weather Morning/Afternoon Bite?

Recommended Posts

With the cold nights and some warmer afternoons, I was wondering what people's opinions were as to if there was a better morning bite (like there typically is in the summer) with this being the first few weeks of cold or if it would be better to wait awhile and fish during the hours that it has had a chance to warm up. I don't mind the cold fishing, but hate to run down the lake in the cold if the early morning bite isn't as significant or would be the same as the rest of the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Seth Clarkson said:

With the cold nights and some warmer afternoons, I was wondering what people's opinions were as to if there was a better morning bite (like there typically is in the summer) with this being the first few weeks of cold or if it would be better to wait awhile and fish during the hours that it has had a chance to warm up. I don't mind the cold fishing, but hate to run down the lake in the cold if the early morning bite isn't as significant or would be the same as the rest of the day. 

I can tell you that yesterday with the high pressure and bluebird sky that we never had a keeper after about 11.  We had a bunch by 9:30 and it got really tough.  That could've been the barometer though.  Post frontal and all, but my schedule is what it is.  There was a very strong reaction bait bite early though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an early morning guy myself and I do believe there is a bite to be had early right now.  Later in the day if the wind picks up I think that can produce a bite too.  These bluebird type days where there is no wind at all, I think you're better off getting out early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quillback said:

I am an early morning guy myself and I do believe there is a bite to be had early right now.  Later in the day if the wind picks up I think that can produce a bite too.  These bluebird type days where there is no wind at all, I think you're better off getting out early.

Yeah, we lost the wind and it just got really tough.  We couldn't adjust and really just never got bit other than the little ones after 11.  Last week when I was out I had nothing early and everything once it clouded up and we got a little breeze.  I can't get a keeper on a jig right now to save my life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Royal Blue said:

Yeah, we lost the wind and it just got really tough.  We couldn't adjust and really just never got bit other than the little ones after 11.  Last week when I was out I had nothing early and everything once it clouded up and we got a little breeze.  I can't get a keeper on a jig right now to save my life.  

I feel your jig pain, I've had several solid thumps, but I can't stick them.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General feedback regarding the Kim City area: I just fish a few hours in the morning. The early bite (7am) is pretty reliable, but it gets tougher with each hour. The 15-20 foot jig bite stopped for me back on Oct 1st. Then the square bill and spinner bait in the backs held up for several days, then it slowed way down. Some mornings the rock crawler works on some decent fish right at daylight on the main lake. This morning I was fortunate to get the jig to work on a few nice fish (a 4# LM and a nice SM).  I normally start with a jig to see if it is going to work, then throw a CB and spinnerbait. Each day is different and I rotate locations each day to try to find new fish. The CB is starting to be my favorite. The fog is an issue to deal with, so keep that in mind. When you launch, do not try to travel east with fog/steam and a bright sun. Travel West young man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2019 at 12:31 PM, Quillback said:

I feel your jig pain, I've had several solid thumps, but I can't stick them.   

here is where you need to determine whether your bass are catching the jig on pinning it to the bottom.  k' and b's are very bad about pinning the jig to the bottom.  often they will do this with a closed mouth.  if you are setting hook fairly quickly on first feel, and this is going on, you will not hook up.  you need to wait for the second feel, and this is when they will most often actually engulf the jig, then you will hook up.  then there are just times that bass will just butt your lure and you might snag one once in a while.

bo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a good FB jig bite on Saturday between 1 and 4 PM.

Overcast with bit of light rain.

using 1/4 oz and 5/16 PB&J with green pumpkin speed craw.

Best bite was on steep banks and ledges, and behind deep docks.

Nothing huge, but several 14"-17" fish almost all K's and brownies.

Agree with Bo about fish pinning the jig! 

Missed a few by setting too quickly.

seems like the brownies would just pick it up and run with it and never felt the  "tick"?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.