Who is ready?

Gavin

My little 1436 w/6hp mud buddy does good the few times we’ve taken it to 4rivers. 3 guys and gear...no worries.  I know Marty uses smaller boat and mud motor...I’ve seen his videos...your paddle Jon with small outboard or troller will save a heart attack

i have a blind for mine...so we drag it up in shallows and hunt out of it ideally but if doesn’t work...we hide it and hunt off marsh stools

On 11/1/2019 at 10:57 PM, slothman said:

I’ve never used slotted bags. I think they would be great. I use a BIG stiff bag with good backpack straps. I think I got it at Rogers years ago. I can hold as many as I would want to carry at one time. Tangles have never really been an issue for me either. 

If hiking in, I can carry more dekes in a good backpack bag.  The slotted bags stack great in the boat and save the paint on the dekes. Tangles aren't much of an issue either way, T-rigs slove that problem.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:42 AM, Gavin said:

We killed three ducks but only recovered two.  We just didn't know the territory and we needed a better way to haul our stuff in...Sleds alone were not the way to go.

Glad to hear to you got some chances! Been a while since I've hunted one of the duck parks, but, the agents were always helpful in pointing you in the right direction as to where to setup if you didn't know the area.

We shot a mixed bag. Lots of little and big ducks around. Woodies seemed to have had a banner year with all the high water!

The guy at the counter was very helpful. Told us where to go but we missed it in the dark. We learned allot, and what a show. We had one of 8 reservations, and they were hunting 28 spots...83 parties in the drawing for 20 spots..It was a memorable show. Glad you got some ducks! 

Poor man is always an adventure and definately a show, especially on opening weekend! IIRC, they only hunted 24 spots last year with almost a foot less water.

Been hard work, but, we are working birds. Had commitment problems today, we'll see what tomorrow brings. Looking forward to Thursday!

No more hunting this week or weekend. Headed out next Tuesday & Wednesday. DIY looky loo & maybe a solo hunt on open public land on Tuesday night. Grab a room someplace. Have a reservation at Swan Lake NWR in Sumner, MO on Wednesday. Have 2 available spots for Swan on Wednesday, FWS blind S2. Guaranteed to hunt. Check in 5-7, hunt till 12, gotta checkout, be out by 1. Let me know if interested.

9 hours ago, Gavin said:

No more hunting this week or weekend. Headed out next Tuesday & Wednesday. DIY looky loo & maybe a solo hunt on open public land on Tuesday night. Grab a room someplace. Have a reservation at Swan Lake NWR in Sumner, MO on Wednesday. Have 2 available spots for Swan on Wednesday, FWS blind S2. Guaranteed to hunt. Check in 5-7, hunt till 12, gotta checkout, be out by 1. Let me know if interested.

If the timing was better, I might have joined you -- not too bad a drive for me. Haven't shot at ducks in a long time. 

John

I had it really good when I was a kid. My dad belonged to a duck club that had property just off the MO River at Lexington, MO which was less than an hour from home. You were assigned a blind and guys would get the decoys set up before hand. Used to get there early, early, get ready in the old farmhouse, then toodle down a canal in a little boat to the flooded fields before sunrise and wait. Pretty sweet setup.

Same thing with my uncle George, who absolutely loved ducks and duck hunting. He owned a place near Urich, MO with a few guys and had an absolutely wonderful black lab named Sam. She would sit at the blind's doggy door and when released she'd shoot out into the water. If she didn't see the splash(es) Uncle George would steer her with whistle commands right to the bird(s). That was freakin' cool. 

John

On 10/29/2019 at 8:29 AM, Ryan Miloshewski said:

Thousands of ducks in Clinton, MO area right now. All species. Seeing a bunch of high flying specks, cans and ducks while deer hunting in the mornings, too. I sure hope this snow storm we are having this week doesn't send the masses down South.

I hunted Truman at Clinton all through the 90’s. We would hunt “The Slot” which was up the Grand River arm by a railroad bridge. I can’t tell you how many ducks we killed. 

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor