Lake Taneycomo fishing report, October 23

Phil Lilley

• Root Admin

Generation patterns on Lake Taneycomo have changed since my last fishing report.  Spill gates have shut down and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has gone back to running generators for much of the day and some nights.  Oxygen levels remain decent and water temperatures steady at about 57 degrees.  Water clarity has dropped, though, which is good for us anglers.  We talked about using two-pound line for months because our water was so clear -- but not anymore.  Four-pound line is fine for almost all applications.

Flows have been pretty consistent, running 6,500 and 8,600 cubic feet per second of water, or the equivalent of 1.5 to two units of water.  Table Rock is 916.8 feet above sea level and dropping slightly.  With the current flow, it's just keeping up with inflows caused by rains and some water from Beaver Lake which is a little high at 1,126 feet. 

As fate has it, they shut the water down today but I'm afraid it's going to short-lived.  Quite a bit of rain is forecasted for the next 4-5 days which, if we get it, will bring the lakes up and more generation.

At these medium flows, wading below the dam is very limited, mainly at the outlets and along the bank in some areas.  I've seen some guys wading below outlet #3 at deep depths, going out in current to their waist which, in my opinion, is unnecessary and dangerous.  No fish is worth getting swept downstream, putting you and may be someone else trying to help rescue you at risk.  Be wise.

Drifting #12 gray, brown and orange scuds from the cable down to Trout Hollow has been pretty successful this week, along with egg flies and San Juan worms.  Fish them under a float or using a drift rig or just a split shot; either is fine.

We're still doing pretty well throwing white jigs in and below the trophy area.  Sculpin jigs and black jigs are producing well, too.

Drifting night crawlers below Fall Creek is netting some really nice rainbows, according to Guide Bill Babler.  The stretch between Fall Creek and Short Creek has been the best.

Guide Steve Dickey has been doing well using the pink PowerWorm under a float six- to nine-feet deep from above Monkey Island through the bridges.

The wind has made drifting and fishing pretty tough in general the last few days but that should change shortly.

View full article

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

37 minutes ago, Phil Lilley said:

At this flow, wading below the dam is very limited, mainly at the outlets and along the bank in some areas.  I've seen some guys wading below outlet #3 at deep depths, going out in current to their waist which, in my opinion, is unnecessary and dangerous.  No fish is worth getting swept downstream, putting you and may be someone else trying to help rescue you at risk.  Be wise.

View full article

Last time I was down I saw guys wading out father than I'd ever think to go while the gates were open at night...

Judging by all the empty beer cans I picked up that night I'm assuming they weren't using the best judgement.  Future Darwin award winners right there.  

I'm with you Phil, if you're going to be that stupid, stop and think about the people who will have to risk their life to come save your dumb butt.

I saw a guy swept down stream last year when he waded out there.  He didn’t get to the bank until the boat ramp and he was screaming the whole way.  The kind of screams people in fear for life make.  Heard the same scream in Destin 10 years ago when a guy ignored the black flags and got sucked out in a rip tide. He drown and as it turned out he was from the STL area.  

• Root Admin

Had to edit the report, since they SHUT the water off this morning.

Big rains moving in which will, again, change things.

It's hard writing any report seeing conditions change so often.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg