Reminder to wear your life jacket!

54 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Ok, but what happened that warranted the hose clamp fix in the first place ? 

I don't know, but I agree with him. if you choose not to use duct tape, your just asking for trouble!!! :goodjob:

Luck is where preparation meets opportunity...... Or you could just flip a coin???B)

I'm just saying...... I've seen plenty of steering CABLES get stiff and eventually seize, but I've never EVER seen one break and let go of the motor.

Hydraulic pumps, hoses, and fittings fail all the time.   And your STEERING SYSTEM is the most important component on the whole dang boat !    Therefore I'm not at all in favor of the "lovely convenience" of hydraulic steering systems on any boat capable of more than 30 mph.

Hydraulic ASSIST would be cool, but with straight hydraulic, you're just asking for it.

33 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I'm just saying...... I've seen plenty of steering CABLES get stiff and eventually seize, but I've never EVER seen one break and let go of the motor.

Hydraulic pumps, hoses, and fittings fail all the time.   And your STEERING SYSTEM is the most important component on the whole dang boat !    Therefore I'm not at all in favor of the "lovely convenience" of hydraulic steering systems on any boat capable of more than 30 mph.

Hydraulic ASSIST would be cool, but with straight hydraulic, you're just asking for it.

Even on a 60/40 jet?

That failure would jerk you stiff.

But jet boats handle different than a speed boat. 

I will stick to the old 50 hp and cables.  30 mph on the water is fine for me.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:27 AM, fishinwrench said:

Ok, but what happened that warranted the hose clamp fix in the first place ? 

Missed this question.

somewhere along the boats life I assume someone figured a hose clamp and barb fitting would work. no clue how that part of it went down as I bought the boat used from a guy in Nixa.

I assume they had an issue with the threaded fittin on the hose and thought that would be an ok fix. I fixed it correctly and just bought new hoses for a whole $125 or so. was a simple fix that could have kept someone from getting hurt or worse so I did it the right way when I fixed it