OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
snagged in outlet 3

3 men canoe the Missouri river from Montana to STL

Lewis and Clark aside.  Back to the original post. To be able to do that in today's world, that takes a lot.  My hat off to them.  

The speed of the Missouri's current helped those guys with not having to paddle like crazy to make good mileage every day.   ACOE has turned that River into a self-scouring barge ditch. 

That contrasts 180 degrees with what reports say the MO River was like in Lewis & Clark days when it was spread out and ran much, much slower than today.  Still, it was an incredible feat to drag their big boat upstream against whatever current was present in the early 1800's.  

4 minutes ago, skeeter said:

The speed of the Missouri's current helped those guys with not having to paddle like crazy to make good mileage every day.   ACOE has turned that River into a self-scouring barge ditch. 

That contrasts 180 degrees with what reports say the MO River was like in Lewis & Clark days when it was spread out and ran much, much slower than today.  Still, it was an incredible feat to drag their big boat upstream against whatever current was present in the early 1800's.  

Yep when I did the MR340 current just sitting in the channel drifting was anywhere between 3-5 MPH.

Seems like I remember they did send some letters and artifacts back to Jefferson as they went along and maybe even received some back. But, yeah, there certainly wasn't regular correspondence. 

This convo has me wanting to re-watch the Ken Burns documentary or reread Undaunted Courage. It is truly amazing what they did, the discoveries made and the knowledge they brought back.

They sent some of the party back when they spent the winter in North Dakota, no doubt they carried some messages.  Other than that I don't know how they could've sent anything else back unless they ran into trappers that were willing to bring stuff back.  It's been years since I read the DeVoto edited Journals, time for another read.