OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishinwrench

C&R scouting mission

24 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

There wasn't a better spot on the planet for dove shooting than this one.  It was a political "fund Raiser" for a senator.  Brush hogged sunflower fields near the Missouri River.  We used to pay $50 each for the day.  Included, breakfast, booze, ladies to clean and grill birds and more doves in one spot than you could believe.  No mater how many times they would tell guys not to shoot below eye level the excitement got the better of them.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.   

Did Dick Cheney attend? Sounds like his kinda party.

46 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

It's hard to lay off a dove coming straight at you 6' off the ground

Be honest -- did you shoot anybody? :D 

My daddy taught me to choose my hunting partners wisely.   I always wanted to go with this dude, Mark, because no matter what the season, or critter, he always had immediate and outstanding success.   Problem was that when at the range or anytime he had a gun in his hands he was always swinging his muzzle through people and had what we all considered a dangerous safety deficit.    He grew up to become a state trooper..... hopefully he got some safety lessons pounded into him along the way.   

14 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

My daddy taught me to choose my hunting partners wisely.   I always wanted to go with this dude, Mark, because no matter what the season, or critter, he always had immediate and outstanding success.   Problem was that when at the range or anytime he had a gun in his hands he was always swinging his muzzle through people and had what we all considered a dangerous safety deficit.    He grew up to become a state trooper..... hopefully he got some safety lessons pounded into him along the way.   

I went with a guy like that.....once

It was just me and 11 others in the park today.  The bite was way tougher than last week, the fish are getting noticably smarter, but I did ok. My dry fly casting is improving at a rapid rate.  One of the guys I spoke to said that someone at Larry's told him that Z3 was full of Smallies.....but if it is I couldn't catch but one of them, and it was a runt.  Pretty sure it's still about a month early for that action.   

Ran down to the river when the whistle blew and caught 2 pretty little bows and one nice sized brown before dark.  First brown I've seen this year and I don't think it was a recent stocker.....but I might be wrong.   There still wasn't any in the park.   

Harv and I fished Columbia's city pond on Friday. We quit around 1:30 only catching a few dinks between us. I stopped in at Mckay on my way home and added a few more to the tally. Felt like I should have saved time to visit the zoo just to round out the day.

Only 10 guys on the whole stream today, reduced to 8 after @laker67 left 😊

Dark, gloomy, nasty day.  The fish bit ok though, some pretty decent sized fish in Z2.

I hit a 1/2 mile stretch of the river before I went to the park, but didn't do so well down there.   Was going to give it another shot right before dark....but the wind got cold and I pussed out.