Is There Nothing That Can Be Done??

GENTLE

3 minutes ago, GENTLE said:

I'm only pointing out how strange it is that Bull and Beav are constantly flooded, while Table Rock enjoys normal pool most of the time. This wasn't the case in the 70s-2000s , but something has changed, and I'm guessing money talks.

I think we've had more "big" flood events in the past 10 years than before that time.  Did you read the article?  I don't see how Tablerock's lake level makes anyone more or less money.  It's not like they shut down businesses because the lake is high.   Nothing to do but adjust I guess. 

It actually does compute......look at the aforementioned slides. They clearly give you the outline of how and when. 

Slide 32 clearly states 6.6" average runoff volume for the upstream area so a 8ft rise isn't out of the question for a 2" rain at all.

• Members
16 minutes ago, Devan S. said:

It actually does compute......look at the aforementioned slides. They clearly give you the outline of how and when. 

Slide 32 clearly states 6.6" average runoff volume for the upstream area so a 8ft rise isn't out of the question for a 2" rain at all.

And with that reasoning, Bull should've come up 40ft with the 10"-12" rain we received on October 6th. No man it dont compute!! 

image.png

41 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I think we've had more "big" flood events in the past 10 years than before that time.  Did you read the article?  I don't see how Tablerock's lake level makes anyone more or less money.  It's not like they shut down businesses because the lake is high.   Nothing to do but adjust I guess. 

So the cool thing is......someone with some free time on their hands could in theory mine this data using the USGS water data(I bet the corps actually has this data). For example on the Kings river(which is a large inflow to table rock) and starts within spitting distance from the white which is Beaver's big inflow.

You can easily find Annual peak stream flow.

image.png

In addition they will give you monthly mean discharge(sorry for the small copy/paste)

image.png

So you could easily mine the data to make the case that either:

A. there have been more floods in the last 10 years.

B. there haven't been more floods in the last 10 years.

I would bet they have the same statistics for the James river too which could add an additional data point and even further prove or disprove the theory. In addition, someone could probably pull the daily lake level along with the daily inflows and ACTUALLY tell us how bad of a job the corps does at actually managing.

A 2" rain here on dry ground won't cause any runoff, but a 2" rain on saturated ground will all run off causing major flooding.  But the floods never reach the hill tops.

I see what you are saying though, Table Rock is  home to more big $$$ fishing contests than the other two Lakes and it just automatically follows that the tourney sponsors have bribed someone in the army or the power group to keep TR at optimal Tourney levels.  So here's an idea set up Beaver for half the Big$$$ and Bull for the other half  and let TR be flooded.   Just have to put enough money in the right hands , eh , wot?

20 minutes ago, GENTLE said:

And with that reasoning, Bull should've come up 40ft with the 10"-12" rain we received on October 6th. No man it dont compute!! 

Well sure if you use localize rainfall amounts over the entire basin but you know it didn't rain a solid 10" from Rogers to Springfield to Mountain Home and circle back through Kingston

Phil showed where the bulk of the rain fell in NW Arkansas during that storm.