Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Freezer is full ... now it's time for some trophy hunting

Recommended Posts

My youngest boy and I skipped school November 1st and took a little trip. We started by getting him a few extra shots on Friday morning (we shoot a 6mm rifle ... otherwise known as a .244). I do have a Ruger American Predator .308 picked out for my Christmas gift!

We then headed to set-up our blind and fish for the day. It was an absolute fabulous day, with plenty of big fish and plenty of eaters as well. The best bass went 4.25 lbs and the best bluegill was 1.25 lbs. We set-up a little hobo grill (hole in the ground) and pan fried some fresh fish and potatoes. Hit the sack after that and got up early the next morning for a great day.

We got in the blind at 6:00 (it was the day before daylight savings change). It was windy and it just had the feeling of being a slow day (at least until the wind laid down ... which was forecasted for around 4pm). My boy was excited, even at noon. I told him we were going to go eat, his response was "we are getting back as quick as possible" ... he was 8 at the time (just turned 9).  I was really excited to see his determination and commitment. We took a 45 minute lunch break and then got back in the blind. He told me we were staying until we got a deer ... and we still hadn't seen a deer. This is a place that I have hunted countless times and always see multiple deer each day. Around 3:30 the wind started lying down and shifted a little. Three does made their way through around 4:00 ... the field is an overgrown and hard to spot deer, which makes for great hunting and difficult spotting. He found the second one, but she wasn't stopping (they were at 140 yards, which is a bit out of his range ... he took a buck last year at 109 yards ... dropped him). Didn't see another deer until 6:15, he took the shot after I grunted at the buck and dropped this one as well. Shot was about 85 yards. The buck had made its way into the field following a little creek. We didn't see him until he hopped out of the creek bed.  It was a crazy fun day, full of naps, nature watching and bonding with my youngest. I was so proud of him for sticking it out for a FULL DAY.

This week, we had a "snow day". I headed to my local bow spot to harvest some dinner. I was looking for a young deer, didn't mind which gender ... just wanted tender meat. Got to the blind at 2:00 and had deer all around me. I had dragged hot doe urine and let's just say the bucks were wanting some. I had 2 pass right behind my blind (the wind was in my face). One passed at 2:30, he must have followed me from my truck! At 4:00 this little buck made his way right in front of me at 28 yards and I took the shot. Short blood trail and the deer was dead within 10-15 seconds. Did a gutless field process and had the meat home by 5:45. Cleaned up half a backstrap and broiled it in the oven ... what a day!

Now that our freezer is full, it is time to trophy hunt and population control hunt (does). It's been a great few weeks!




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

@OzarkFishman you are definitely doing it right buddy making memories with your kids! Glad to hear about his enthusiasm. He got a great buck and should be proud. Also some fine bass as well. Congrats again!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.