Best tents for family of 6

Three smaller dome tents pitch easier and quicker, we  had boys and girls and us. camped hundreds of times that way. Big tents are hard to pitch and hard to carry or stow in the trunk. I like the medium cost, that say they sleep 6 but only have room for three. Exterior frames with  fly/cover. hanging hooks from frame rather than sewed in sleeves.  I can't recommend a current model because the last kid is now approaching middle age so it was a while ago. but similar to this https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2960989&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-2960989&WT.z_pg_ref=prd2314983

Current “Family” camper is a 32’ bumper tow. Did not want a 5th wheel, but they tow better. 3 tents if you have boys and girls over 10. We have an old school 12’x12’  canvas cabin tent for my wife and me and our two daughters get my “3 man” rated backpacker tent. It will sleep two OK, but tight. Better for 1 and dry gear storage in the extra space & vestibule. 

The wife and I share a tent, and each kid has their own even though they often bunk together.  But that way if one of them trashes their tent, gets their sleeping bag wet, or leaves the door open and it fills the tent with flys....it is THEIR problem and nobody else's.

In my family if you are old enough to feed yourself and wipe your own butt....then you are 100% on your own at camp.  The first-aid kit is in the glove box of the truck if you start bleeding. Pack it away neatly when your done.  

Agree, 100% on that FW. Hard to kick my wife, and little girls out of the camper though..They have all the comforts of home. Will have to take em out for a 3 day/2 night gravel bar camp and see how they do with it. 

w

I go back and forth with the camper idea, can't decide if I want one or not.  We probably wouldn't cook in it at all. About the only time I would truly enjoy having one is during foul weather.....I could set in there comfortably and tie flys or something.   

I'm definitely not a big RV guy, I'd much rather stay in a motel than to go through all that hassle.

Did the pickup camper in the '70s and if you want to run to town to get an egg or loaf of bread or lantern fuel- whatever you ran out of or she forgot to bring- you essentially have to tear down the camp and rebuild afterwards, it's good for daily travel though where you'd be tearing down and setting up anyway. I've never done the trailer thing,  but think we'd like a small one now, instant camp even in a parking lot.