Brown trout spawn

trythisonemv

The rainbows at Troutdale hatch in 10-12 days in 54-56° water, and the yolk sack (larval) stage lasts less than a week (typically 4-5 days). 

That is with absolutely no chemical or alkalinity altering help from biologists.

Growth is about 1" per month until they reach 8" then it slows to about half that.   They are packaged and sold at 12" and 14"  (1.5 - 2 years old). Breeders are 3 years old.  

Egg to adult yeild is 18%

On 12/7/2019 at 5:07 PM, aarchdale@coresleep.com said:

I wonder the same about Zebra mussels.  Why is Bull Shoals absolutely littered by them and we dont have them in Table Rock

Some idiot brought a dock from an affected waterway that likely had thousands of Zebra Mussels on it and put it in Bull Shoals.

My guess is that boats fishing both Bull Shoals and Table Rock will eventually introduce zebra mussels into Table Rock. (And Norfork too)

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Some idiot brought a dock from an affected waterway that likely had thousands of Zebra Mussels on it and put it in Bull Shoals.

My guess is that boats fishing both Bull Shoals and Table Rock will eventually introduce zebra mussels into Table Rock. (And Norfork too)

Yeah add Beaver to the list.  Just a matter of time.

How fast they grow in Bull is crazy.  I just feel like if it was going to happen it would have already.  Right now the bank around Beaver creek is totally lined with dead mussels all the way up to where you could see where the water line was with the flooding this summer.  I launched there a couple months ago when the water just got back to "normal" and the picnic tables and everything that had been under water were just covered. Smelled like 10 day old road kill around there.  They just seem to populate so fast i dont see how they are not in Table Rock.

On 12/6/2019 at 8:33 AM, tjm said:

That's one I didn't know. But then according to the Federals they are an invasive in the Ozarks anyway. https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=373

That's interesting.  Apparently they are not discriminating between rock bass species, and calling all the rock bass in MO northern rock bass, Ambloplites rupestris.  According to the map, it shows the native range of rupestris to include the Meramec River system and the small direct tributaries of the Mississippi along the Ozark border (which present species range agrees with).  And then it shows that rupestris is introduced over the rest of the Ozarks.  However, the rock bass species over the rest of the Ozarks, except for the Gasconade and Osage river systems, is NOT rupestris.  The Ozark bass, Ambloplites constellatus, is native to the upper White River system, and that's the ONLY place on earth where it is native.  And the shadow bass, Ambloplites ariommus, is native to the Black River, St. Francis, and Castor river systems, along with the rivers of southwest MO.  It's range in the Ozarks is separate from the rest of its native range, which is mainly in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee.  So the Ozark bass MUST be native to its rivers.  And the shadow bass is almost certainly native, because if it's an introduced species, why would whoever introduced it get their goggle-eye from somewhere that far away and not from either the already existing Ozark bass or northern rock bass in the Ozarks?  So why does the USGS not know all this?  At any rate, that whole section of the website is wrong according to present taxomomy.

I HAVE seen sources that say that no rock bass species was native to the Gasconade and Osage river systems, which might make sense, in that they flow into the Missouri River, and if the Missouri was inhospitable to rock bass movement, they would have never found their way to those rivers from wherever they started out in prehistoric times.  But I'm pretty sure that the biologists would agree that the other two rock bass species WERE native to the rest of the Ozarks.

34 minutes ago, Al Agnew said:

I HAVE seen sources that say that no rock bass species was native to the Gasconade and Osage river systems, which might make sense, in that they flow into the Missouri River, and if the Missouri was inhospitable to rock bass movement, they would have never found their way to those rivers from wherever they started out in prehistoric times. 

In prehistoric times the Missouri River probably wasn't the $#!thole that it is now, and was perfectly suitable for goggle-eye.  So I'd say the Gasconade inherited them honestly. 

Tavern has Goggle-eye as well.

Maries does not.

Little Niangua does not.

Weableau does, and it's a trib of Truman.   

Pomme river does.

23 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

In prehistoric times the Missouri River probably wasn't the $#!thole that it is now, and was perfectly suitable for goggle-eye.  So I'd say the Gasconade inherited them honestly. 

Tavern has Goggle-eye as well.

Maries does not.

Little Niangua does not.

Weableau does, and it's a trib of Truman.   

Pomme river does.

Nope, everything I've read says that the Missouri was always extremely muddy, because of the type of land its headwaters drained.  It is clearer now than it has been historically, because the big lakes in Montana and the Dakotas catch so much of the silt.  And to answer your other comment, who knows where the USGS got that information, or how old it is.  The three rock bass species weren't split apart until about 30 years ago.  It also could be that if biologists gave the USGS that info, they were generalists who were not familiar enough with the rock bass situation in the Ozarks.  So perhaps I should have said that biologists specializing in native fish of the Ozarks would agree.