winter pre-fishing

olfishead

Boat ramps are covered with Ice and snow, time to clean and oil the best reels and get ready for better weather! (wore out the Zebco 202's) And, Merry Christmas to all of you Ozark Anglers and have a great New Year fishing the best fisheries in the nation!

Reel.jpg

You too dude. 

I fished my very first bass tournament as a co-angler with two rods. One had a Ambassadeur 4500 and the other was a zebco 33. I think it was 1975 and i was 18. BASS had a tournament at the Lake and there were a bunch of guys like Roland Martin and no one knew who they were at that time.

My "Pro" was a farmer from mid missouri and my tourmament was not fun in his little "bass" boat in March with the wind howling. We were bouncing around while he was trying to run "up the river" and ended up breaking off the trolling motor and it went downhill from there. 

But i did actually catch more fish then he did. i was throwing a purple plastic worm and he thought i was nuts for fishing a worm in the cold water. After i caught a few including a decent keeper he said you got any more of those worms.

• Members

That's a great story. Did you tell the guy yes I  have a whole bag, but there high price out here on the water.😀

Might try to get down this weekend. Weather going to warm up.

Ha ha..... I fished with zebco 33's for years. My buddies with bait casters would make fun of me until I out fished 'em. Got my first bait caster in '78. All I needed was a jig and a spook.... Had a little 2 tray tackle box......Love every minute on the water.....It has been a ball learning this game every step of the way. New rods made for specific techniques, new reels, new baits....etc. What a fun hobby....