Kim City - Dec 26 - Deep bite

The deep bite for me is very inconsistent due to the constant shad and bass movements. Some creeks were loaded with shad in the last few weeks but I am no longer able to find that scenario. What you find today is irrelevant for the next day and you have to start your searching from scratch. I normally like to check the creeks because the fish have boundaries that allows you to find them a little easier. On the gravel flats the boundaries are pretty vague. I was able to catch them good today fishing vertical with numerous baits (ice jig, spoon, Damaki, 4"grub). I found them in in 40-50ft range and after catching a few from a group I had to leave that group and search nearby for another bunch. They get educated real quick. I tried casting a spoon and swimbait but that did not work. Had about 12 keepers. WT about 50.

20191226_105952.jpg

20191226_075152.jpg

20191226_081120.jpg

20191226_084604.jpg

There is something about that straight up hook set that is addicting. I now a lot of guys that think the video fishing, (deep spooning) is not really fishing.... I think its a ball...

Bobby, I found these fish in the mouth of a very large spawning cove that has a fair amount of timber and a channel swing nearby. I was fortunate to see the active birds while searching the channel swing. In the winter time the gravel flats have too much wind for my taste, but I would fish them if I seen the birds going crazy. 

The fishing was real good this morning. I used a repaired ice jig to catch most of them. The tremble holder on the bottom broke off so i used 65# braid (looped twice) to hold the treble hook on an O-ring. I did catch one over 5# so even the big ones liked it.

20191228_114552.jpg

20191228_095022.jpg

46 minutes ago, Dock-in-it said:

The fishing was real good this morning. I used a repaired ice jig to catch most of them. The tremble holder on the bottom broke off so i used 65# braid (looped twice) to hold the treble hook on an O-ring. I did catch one over 5# so even the big ones liked it.

20191228_114552.jpg

20191228_095022.jpg

Many people clip the hooks at each end off. They love to hang up and rarely make a difference. Think about it.

Check out those teeth marks on your thumbs! Great catching! Shallow bite for me has changed extremely since our last club tournament. Must play the conditions to get a good reaction bite. Only mustered 7 bites yesterday, 1 keeper. Fished Christmas Eve 4 bites no keepers. Fish are moving around for sure. Happy New Years.

I tried the deep bite yesterday for about 3 hrs and the bite was very strong. Both the ice jig and 3" SB worked.

This morning I fished for a few hrs (avoiding the extreme wind) and ended up with 6 keepers but I put my bait in front of approx 40 fish. With the major frontal conditions they just ignored the ice jig most of the time. This morning I had to stay on the trolling motor even in a protected area and I think the constant motor noise had a negative impact. I always like to take my foot off the trolling motor when my bait is in front of one.

The graph pic is from yesterday and the fish pics are from this morning. Yesterday I was in a few creeks and today I fished a deep cove with timber. Also lots of shad are in the creeks and coves. I think the new current from dumping Beaver has repositioned a lot of shad. For me the shallow bite starts at 38ft.

20191229_090748.jpg

20191230_111007.jpg

20191230_110923.jpg