Cast iron

96 CHAMP

23 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I was living in an apartment in Creve Coeur years ago and my unit backed up to a Chinese place.  I never ate in there and I'm glad I didn't.  They would hang ducks on the trash dumpster outside 

I love cheap Chinese buffet places, but I am careful not to dwell on any of their practices or ways if cooking.  Heck there are a billion or so Chinese in the world must not be to dangerous.  But I prefer not to know, and not to know what they are saying about me either.  I do enjoy nicer resturant also, I have a thing about the servers I like to make sure I know their name and call them by name every time they come to the table, maybe they won't poison me if I am nice!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a # 8 Lodge cast iron skillet this morning at an estate sale.  Has a heat ring with three notches and numeral 8 cast in the bottom at 12 o'clock and a smaller numeral 0 directly above the 8.  I think it's from the 1950's.  Very good condition, $15.00.  Didn't even dicker.  It was a fun sale and glad we got there early.  Got some other cool stuff too.

Lodge.jpg

Lodge bottom.jpg

32 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

I bought a # 8 Lodge cast iron skillet this morning at an estate sale.  Has a heat ring with three notches and numeral 8 cast in the bottom at 12 o'clock and a smaller numeral 0 directly above the 8.  I think it's from the 1950's.  Very good condition, $15.00.  Didn't even dicker.  It was a fun sale and glad we got there early.  Got some other cool stuff too.

Lodge.jpg

Lodge bottom.jpg

You didn't get hurt at all there Rick! It will be a good addition and great cooker.

I scored a good one the other day at a flea market. Really , really crudded and carboned up. I could see faintly in the edge of the carbon a E at the top. I knew what I had and couldn't pay the 17.95 quick enough. After a few days in the lye tank the answer I thought I had was revealed. ERIE :) .  A pre Griswold #8 ERIE Circa 1880 - 1905. It is in great shape. After the lye tank when it warms up a bit I will fill the E - tank and run it through  it. 

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

I'm going to fry a big ole deer burger in it tonight.  It really did clean up easy and I think  it looks like a good user!

I hope this doesn't turn into another one of those things for me.  I can tell it might get bad.

Want to see a picture of your pre WWI and maybe pre 1900 skillet once you have it ready.  Makes me think of those really old pics that the family still has of my great and great-great grands.  No telling what stories a piece of cookware from those days could tell.  Lean times, good times who knows?  But something worth hearing for certain.

45 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

I'm going to fry a big ole deer burger in it tonight.  It really did clean up easy and I think  it looks like a good user!

I hope this doesn't turn into another one of those things for me.  I can tell it might get bad.

Want to see a picture of your pre WWI and maybe pre 1900 skillet once you have it ready.  Makes me think of those really old pics that the family still has of my great and great-great grands.  No telling what stories a piece of cookware from those days could tell.  Lean times, good times who knows?  But something worth hearing for certain.

Ask and you shall receive Rick.  The before pics. Did not get inside but let me tell you it is as slick as glass. This when done is going to be quite a transformation.

thumbnail_0208201144.jpg

thumbnail_0208201144a.jpg

thumbnail_0208201144b.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

On 1/25/2020 at 1:03 PM, MOPanfisher said:

Used to be a decent Korean Buffet in Bolivar.  There was never any stray critters around it, we jokingly called it the cat house.  Went there one day and there was a big flyer on the door, LOST large gray and white cat, my first thought was have you checked the buffet?  Was never great  but was cheap, and good enough wether it was cat or chicken.

I think it is mostly in a persons head what is being ate. I've ate many things that most turn their nose up to but to me it is actually good.

oneshot