OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
WoundedOne

Help with running to houseman from eagle rock

I see that they are running water today and looks like it may hold for a little while. Can i get some recommendations on how far i can run to dam with a prop? I have never been past town of Beaver.I have heard that Houseman is probably as far as i can go. i am looking for trout. Any help would be great. Gates are open and releasing 7950cfs plus 3800cfs out of turbines.

Thank you 

Michael

13 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

If you go let us know how you do.  I’ve never fished it but would like to.  Good luck!

I will Pete. Thinking i am going to have Saturday off from family off stuff and fish with my son Ian.

It's been awhile but I don't recall anything of concern between Eagle Rock and houseman at normal levels. I have been up to the Hwy 62 bridge just upstream of houseman in my xpress with prop motor without any problems(IIRC water was high but not crazy). If it were me and I was only looking for trout I would put in at houseman or holiday island to avoid the run. Every time I have put in at houseman to try and catch whites I had trouble keeping the trout off about houseman so there may not be a ton of trout downstream of there. @rps probably would be a better source of information here. 

When I last floated, I remember the major downstream shallow point was the old bridge piers just above the Hwy 62 bridge. If you can/or have google earth you can use the historical imagery feature to turn back the clock and look at historical imagery. It wont tell you exactly what the water level is/was but will tell you areas that appear out of the water first. 

For example here is the hwy 62 area in Feb. 2017: The red blob is just upstream from houseman. Blue circle is where the bridge piers are. In Feb 2017 Table Rock was 906-907 so I would expect with the current level and flows you can get through here with ease. 

image.png

^^what Devan said. 62 bridge +/-100 yds is the practical end of a prop's upstream run. With the recent generation trout should be scattered downstream a bit more than normal.

High water, go under the old bridge at Beaver and stay in the channel to Houseman.  Stop and look at the channel options below and above the 62 bridge. In high water I have gone as far s Spider Creek. In low water, idle through the abandoned bridge at Beaver and do not expect to go above Houseman.

In between expect trout from Houseman to the 62 bridge. One of my friends caught a 7 pound brown in the snags just below the 62 bridge.

As for Eagle Rock to Beaver, the only time you need to be careful is at 908 0r less. At that level be careful of the left turn above Eagle Rock. Stay well oer in the channel. Be careful of the run from the  left turn just before Holiday Island . Stay in the channel.

Above Holiday stay in the cahnnel (let side) as you head to Beaver.

21 hours ago, Devan S. said:

It's been awhile but I don't recall anything of concern between Eagle Rock and houseman at normal levels. I have been up to the Hwy 62 bridge just upstream of houseman in my xpress with prop motor without any problems(IIRC water was high but not crazy). If it were me and I was only looking for trout I would put in at houseman or holiday island to avoid the run. Every time I have put in at houseman to try and catch whites I had trouble keeping the trout off about houseman so there may not be a ton of trout downstream of there. @rps probably would be a better source of information here. 

When I last floated, I remember the major downstream shallow point was the old bridge piers just above the Hwy 62 bridge. If you can/or have google earth you can use the historical imagery feature to turn back the clock and look at historical imagery. It wont tell you exactly what the water level is/was but will tell you areas that appear out of the water first. 

For example here is the hwy 62 area in Feb. 2017: The red blob is just upstream from houseman. Blue circle is where the bridge piers are. In Feb 2017 Table Rock was 906-907 so I would expect with the current level and flows you can get through here with ease. 

image.png

That sounds great. i was also thinking last night that i wanted to put in at Holiday Island to avoid that long run from eagle rock.

Thank you.

20 hours ago, bfishn said:

^^what Devan said. 62 bridge +/-100 yds is the practical end of a prop's upstream run. With the recent generation trout should be scattered downstream a bit more than normal.

Nice to know on the scattered trout. I was looking at Google maps last night i thought 62 was the limit. 

17 hours ago, rps said:

High water, go under the old bridge at Beaver and stay in the channel to Houseman.  Stop and look at the channel options below and above the 62 bridge. In high water I have gone as far s Spider Creek. In low water, idle through the abandoned bridge at Beaver and do not expect to go above Houseman.

In between expect trout from Houseman to the 62 bridge. One of my friends caught a 7 pound brown in the snags just below the 62 bridge.

As for Eagle Rock to Beaver, the only time you need to be careful is at 908 0r less. At that level be careful of the left turn above Eagle Rock. Stay well oer in the channel. Be careful of the run from the  left turn just before Holiday Island . Stay in the channel.

Above Holiday stay in the cahnnel (let side) as you head to Beaver.

Good advise RPS. Thanks for the information this is all very helpful and consistent of what others say. Wish me luck!! I will be throwing Jigs. My electronics are so far out of date. all i need is depth and water temp maybe a blip or 2 on the old Garmin 90

garmin 90.jpg