OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
oneshot

Fillet or Not?

Anymore just scale, cut head off and gut.

Had a guy get very mad at me filleting Goggle Eye.

Anymore I just fillet the large fish.

Just wondering do you fillet all fish? 

oneshot

3 hours ago, Mitch f said:

My Chinese family members consider it a waste to fillet a fish. “You’ve ruined it” . They insist the bones add flavor.

They can make some amazing soup with a bunch of fish heads too, can't they?  Tell the truth.

14 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

They can make some amazing soup with a bunch of fish heads too, can't they?  Tell the truth.

Well, I personally think the fish head soup they make is a little too fishy for my taste. If I bring home a few spotted bass, they always leave one or two for me to cook them my way...which is fried of course.

Suckers and trout are the only fish I leave the skin on. The suckers don't fall apart after I score them with the skin on and the trout getting grilled keep their skin. I've ate fried fish with and without the skin and I can't tell any difference. Most of the flavor is coming from the breading anyways.

My grandpa on my mom's side of the family wouldn't fillet a fish because he considered it wasteful.  So when I visited my grandparents as a kid when we had fried fish, I spent a lot of time picking around bones.  I miss my grandparents but I don't miss trying to eat those whole cooked bream.  If I'm going to eat a fish I fillet them.  Only exception I used to make was to cut chinook salmon into steaks for grilling.