Anymore I see people buying hundreds of acres of land just for Deer hunting and just manage it for this. Don’t see many farming it.

I’ve owned Farms and to me Deer and Turkey were just extra.

See guys buy small 20 acres and first thing they do is buy a New Tractor. 😉 

I have leased my land out and did fine. Only problem I ever had was the guy spread fertilizer and didn’t work it in. The only thing I can figure is the Deer would burn their nose and stayed clear of the fields. Went to the other end of the place that was pasture and did well.

I don’t know it just seems strange to put out this much for Deer. One guy bought one of my farms and it was just for Deer Hunting. The most Deer I had killed in one season was 6. There is no way the place would pay for itself with Deer and Turkey. Plus he brought down the value of the place the way I feel by taking down all the buildings and fences.

Maybe I look at things different anymore.

oneshot

Those subsidies keep the food available at low cost to the consumer, but without them the farmers could likely increase profit with decreased production. Hungry people will pay whatever it takes for a loaf of bread. I will agree that currently most farms are subsidy dependent.  I guess that makes wildlife in many places subsidy dependent.

2 hours ago, tjm said:

Those subsidies keep the food available at low cost to the consumer, but without them the farmers could likely increase profit with decreased production. Hungry people will pay whatever it takes for a loaf of bread. I will agree that currently most farms are subsidy dependent.  I guess that makes wildlife in many places subsidy dependent.

So the interesting thing is that if your at the front end of the supply chain, your forced to constantly cut costs(this goes for farming too). 

As anything progresses down the supply chain and gets closer to the final consumer the focus on cutting costs decrease until you get to the transaction from the final supplier to the final consumer at that point we often see increases in prices. Ever wonder how that works?

Notice how meat and cars both continue to increase in price. Labor is by all means under pacing inflation and every part of the supply chain cuts costs to their supplier but that costs decrease never makes it to the consumer. (Every supplier in major automotive is constantly looking to cut costs to the end customer(ford, chevy, dodge). Yet you pay significantly more every year. 

The industry I work in day to day works to cut costs to our major customers on the pace of 3-5% of COGS per year. We are number 2 in supply chain and we push our vendors to cut costs by 3-5%. Our customers sell directly homeowners and yet homeowners are still seeing increases in the costs of the products they are buying. 

At some link profits are increasing and more and more its generally in that last link of retail in which the final end consumer hands over money. 

I have a relatively small herd of cows. I will never get rich off of it(most years I break even or they cost me money), I enjoy the lifestyle. Regardless of anything else I have to buy feed and fuel and those costs generally go up(when times I good I put my profits back into my farm in ways that save me time, money, or headache later on down the line).  My prices I get for my calves can yo-yo almost .30 cents/lb at the sale barn. The feed lot that will buy they will likely experience the same yo-yo effect. The slaughter/packing plant will have some yo-yo in prices they get paid but it largely based on contracts with the final retail which is pushing them to lower prices but yet you will almost always pay the same price out the door of the supermarket.  Unfortunately we have become a retail economy. There is certainly value to be added by my beef being able to be sold at any supermarket vs just to my neighbors but I think if you really looked where the profits lie you'll find the people with all labor, costs, and risk will be making the least money. 

• 2 weeks later...

How many Farms are used to feed the people? Most anymore it is for Beef or Hog production.

Very little is farmed for Vegetables. When I was a kid I worked picking on many Truck Farms.

oneshot

10 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

The selling of products and commodity's is a tough game, somebody can come in and steal your business overnight. 

I was at a dinner party once and this blow hard professor was spouting off about selling techniques he was teaching and he referred to a one off item.  I started laughing and said there's now skill in that.  There's only one so you don't any competition.  Try selling something that 10 other guys sell....That takes skill.   

Running Joke at Lead Mine. If want to do business get a Big Black Hat.

Truck Farming is hard work the Big Things when I was a kid was Tomatoes and Cucumbers around Springfield but I also picked Green Beans.

We also traveled and Chopped Cotton and Beans for $1 an hour.

Just most raise Corn and Beans or Beef. Mainly it is because of the work involved. I have to admit it was hard Milking Cows twice a day. Raising crops to feed Cattle and Hogs. Small Hay Bales and Silage was work.

Another thing you can’t work a kid like you use to. I was working a Mans Job at 13 and enjoyed it.

oneshot