Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fishinwrench

Fly line cleaning, process and products?

Recommended Posts

Best way to do it, and the best stuff to use?   I feel like I've tried it all, but I have a feeling that somebody knows a better way to clean and treat a line.

What exactly is the lovely slick stuff that is on a brand new Rio line?   Seems to last a year or more.....and I want some of that, whatever it is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

Best way to do it, and the best stuff to use?   I feel like I've tried it all, but I have a feeling that somebody knows a better way to clean and treat a line.

What exactly is the lovely slick stuff that is on a brand new Rio line?   Seems to last a year or more.....and I want some of that, whatever it is.  

Cleaning won't help if it is worn with scrapes, small cuts and splits.  Usually the head of the line is all beat up and no cleaning in the world will help that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Cleaning won't help if it is worn with scrapes, small cuts and splits.  Usually the head of the line is all beat up and no cleaning in the world will help that. 

Oh yes it does!    Haven't you ever noticed that a line casts better than it ever has right before it's time to replace it?      Just gotta clean it up and fill in those cracks with something that is slick, repels water, and will stay put awhile.  

I have a bunch of those Cortland pads, but that stuff doesn't last but a day or two at most.   Whatever RIO uses seems to really bond well.   I ordered some of the stuff Ronnie suggested, so we'll see.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

Oh yes it does!    Haven't you ever noticed that a line casts better than it ever has right before it's time to replace it?      Just gotta clean it up and fill in those cracks with something that is slick, repels water, and will stay put awhile.  

I have a bunch of those Cortland pads, but that stuff doesn't last but a day or two at most.   Whatever RIO uses seems to really bond well.   I ordered some of the stuff Ronnie suggested, so we'll see.  

Usually the tip starts sinking before I notice any big change in slickness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Usually the tip starts sinking before I notice any big change in slickness. 

I don't have that problem, possibly because I cut the first 2-4' off the tip to begin with and whip a new loop into it.   New lines always have too much thin tip and they are always so stiff.   I love a line that is broke in good enough so that it is more supple.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3M made an equivalent to Armorall years back, I can't remember the exact name.  It never caught on with the auto industry, but worked great on fly lines.  I used to by it in single use pads and would last several trips.

Most of the problems are dirt and grit.  Hard water, slime, and other gunk from water build up on the line.  I have a Loon product I use now.  Its pure silicone probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.