Is Salt Water Worth It?

oneshot

Arthritis messed me up on my Gulf Fishing Trip.

Yes I know Salt Water Fish fight harder but is it worth it dealing with the salt as far as Boat and Reels?

There are plenty Fresh Water Fish that put up a heck of fight.

oneshot

• Members

Live on the Texas Gulf Coast and fish the saltwater all the time. Reels do not become a problem until you start dipping them in the salt water. If you do they need to come apart and be rinsed otherwise they corrode. If not dipped in saltwater a gentle rinse with fresh water. I run a boat in the saltwater needs to be washed after every trip. The motor also needs to be flushed. Not a big deal just have to be very willing to do it every time.

I know a guy that fishes the Gulf out of Florida. He pulls his Boat out every few days cleans it up.

I lived in Louisiana but it was just Fresh Water. Catfish and Mudbugs.

I know Coon A diet. My kids hated fish and rice 3X a day. LOL

oneshot

If a boat that comes in for service has been in saltwater I can tell right away.  A simple thing such as refreshing a water pump or changing gear lube can turn into a 3 day long ordeal.   

The mechanics that live and work on the coast seem real casual about it....but it would absolutely drive me to do hard drugs.   Nothing is more frustrating when you're trying to work on something than a bunch of seized fasteners.   

21 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

I feel that the saltwater fish eat better than most freshwater fish. But if you don't want to bother with rinsing gear then don't bother with saltwater.

Beings as how the average life of a livewell pump (alone) in saltwater is 7 weeks, you're money ahead to buy your seafood.   

Saltwater boating has to rate right up there with the most expensive hobby's you could possibly have.

We lived on the Laguna Madre near Corpus Christi for 17 years. We had a house on a canal with a boat lift and yes, saltwater is hard on equipment. But with regular maintenance it is not a problem. I had a 20 foot shallow water flats boat with a Suzuki 140 fourstroke that I bought when we moved down there and it was still running great when we moved up here a couple of years ago. It had over 5k hours on it. I fished or duck hunted 4 or 5 days per week.  As previously said you need to hose off your rods and reels after use and I would flush the motor once a week. .

7 minutes ago, MOPanfisher said:

Well crap, now I want to go to the Gulf Coast and catch a redfish!  What roughly does it cost to get a guide and jump in with a group.

Guides are pretty expensive on the Texas coast. They average around $600 a day for a party of 4.  

21 minutes ago, netboy said:

Guides are pretty expensive on the Texas coast. They average around $600 a day for a party of 4.  

Ouch, might be too bad as a group though.  Thanks.