Old slang term

straw hat

8 hours ago, tjm said:

In the early 1900s gasoline was likely a novelty in it's own right. Moonbows on a puddle would have been rare. I'm not even sure they had slang words back then.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/25318-88-hilarious-slang-terms-from-the-20th-century-to-sprinkle-through-your-writing-like-youre-putting

The real example of "a cheap date". Gasoline was probably around 2 cents a gallon back then. 

in 1916 gas was 21.5 cents/gal and up union brick layers got 65 cents/hour-$30/week; today bricklayers get ~$26/hour; for gas to be equivalent it would cost ~$8.96/gallon. Of course there was a shortage of gas that year and a war in Europe cutting off supplies from German and Austrian refineries, and a revolution in Mexico that cut off any fuel from there. I recall Dad and others talking about 20 cent a gallon gas when wages were a $1/day, maybe in the '30s.

Now this is interesting.

Fishingwrench - Your article on old sayings, well to say the least, makes me feel old as I am familiar with most and have used many. Uggghh.

I remember gas at 17 cents a gallon.  Us old folks need to go take a nap.

3 hours ago, olfishead said:

Gasoline was 19 cents/gal. in the early 60's during a gas war at Cane Hill!

I remember .199 during the gas wars myself.  We were on the way to LOZ and that was the price in Eldon at the the gas station on old 54 as you came in from the East.  That place hasn’t dispensed fuel for many years...

Mike

9 minutes ago, nomolites said:

I remember .199 during the gas wars myself.  We were on the way to LOZ and that was the price in Eldon at the the gas station on old 54 as you came in from the East.  That place hasn’t dispensed fuel for many years...

Mike

The owners (family) are still in the business though.  😊

4 hours ago, olfishead said:

Gasoline was 19 cents/gal. in the early 60's during a gas war at Cane Hill!

I pumped ~1000 gal one day at Warsaw, started 18-19 cents/gal  and closed at 9.7 cents. Can't recall  what year it was but I worked there "66-'68 so that time frame, our usual price was about 18-21 cents. Most of that 1000 gal. was at about 11 cents and the boss called the Company three times over the day to get authorization for more drops. I remember seeing gas wars at 3-6 cents several times in the early '60s for short time periods, prices dropping tenth of cent at a time because the pumps back then didn't  calculate smaller than tenths.

18 hours ago, tjm said:

I pumped ~1000 gal one day at Warsaw, started 18-19 cents/gal  and closed at 9.7 cents. Can't recall  what year it was but I worked there "66-'68 so that time frame, our usual price was about 18-21 cents. Most of that 1000 gal. was at about 11 cents and the boss called the Company three times over the day to get authorization for more drops. I remember seeing gas wars at 3-6 cents several times in the early '60s for short time periods, prices dropping tenth of cent at a time because the pumps back then didn't  calculate smaller than tenths.

Wasn't like that in the 70's:mellow: 

To All,

I definitely remember the Gas Wars !!! I also remember asking my Dad what the little 4 meant on the gas pump. He replied that is was 4 tenths of a penny and explained it to me. Gas that day was 12.4 cents per gallon. In the wars as I remember they would cut 1/10 th of a cent at a time to fight the competition.

Just for something to do................. Look up the price of gas in Venezuela right now..........  Don't cry too much...................

Walcrabass