Jump to content
OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
N9BOW

COVID-19 - Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Recommended Posts

Mary and I had the antibody test, since I had had that horrific respiratory illness back in January.  Our doctors have it set up where you call and make an appointment, and at the appointed time a pair of nurses wheels a gurney out into the far corner of the parking lot, you drive up, stick your arm out, and they take a blood sample.  You're wearing a mask and so are they.  So we had it done Monday, got the results back yesterday...both of us negative.  So alas, I haven't already had Covid.  The test they are using is supposed to be 97% accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wondered...I had the same thing after the super bowl.  I think it might have been but not 100% sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, oneshot said:

Went to Springfield had to go to a couple Hospitals. They basically took my Temperature and good to go. Had my first Treatment and all went well got 39 more. The Cancer has gotten worse but this is not really a surprise.

We went shopping and other than masks and barriers all was good.

oneshot 

Sorry to hear that.  Keep up the faith.  A positive attitude beats the old cancer bug better than any treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Al Agnew said:

Why wear a mask?  Well, I don't know how effective it is, but it DOES, according to what I've read, stop SOME of the virus particles, and as has been stated here and elsewhere many times, you don't want to get a big load of virus particles at once.  A few, your body can fight off better.  A big dose is worse.  So yeah, that's one reason to wear a mask even if it doesn't protect you all THAT much.  

The other reason is to protect others, and there I think it's the same principle, except more so.  The fewer germs you put out if you happen to be infected, the less likely it is that somebody else will take in enough of your germs to get infected.

But there is what I think is a very important third reason.  We all have to live in society as it is, and that means getting along with "strangers".  If you are not wearing a mask, the people who are worried about getting it are NOT going to be happy with you when you're in the store buying groceries, and that includes the workers there.  I know it pisses me off to be someplace like the grocery store right now and see people not wearing masks.  So to get along with society, whether you think it does any good or not, the polite thing to do is to wear one.

As far as lessening the effectiveness of your  immune system by being too clean, I don't think that's the way it works.  Yup, I think you can build up a hearty immune system over a lifetime of being outdoors, playing in the dirt or otherwise getting dirty, drinking questionable water now and then, or whatever.  But if you have that healthy immune system, I don't think it matters to spend a few months being cleaner than normal and avoiding contamination as much as possible.  Nor can you build up a healthy immune system by suddenly being unsanitary when you were not unsanitary before.  

I notice how the places I go to buy things handle their interactions with customers.  Cannot tell until you are there, but... the places that are taking reasonable steps - masks for staff, cleaning carts, putting up those plexiglass barriers etc. are the ones I'll go back to.  The ones that basically say you're on your own?  No thanks for next week.  Very noticeable differences in that down here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Al Agnew said:

Mary and I had the antibody test, since I had had that horrific respiratory illness back in January.  Our doctors have it set up where you call and make an appointment, and at the appointed time a pair of nurses wheels a gurney out into the far corner of the parking lot, you drive up, stick your arm out, and they take a blood sample.  You're wearing a mask and so are they.  So we had it done Monday, got the results back yesterday...both of us negative.  So alas, I haven't already had Covid.  The test they are using is supposed to be 97% accurate.

I would not say alas.  Shoot for not getting it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, wily said:

I wondered...I had the same thing after the super bowl.  I think it might have been but not 100% sure

Wifey says same thing.  I doubt it but who knows for sure?  Unless you've been tested.  Not for us regular folks though, at least not around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw my grandkids today for the first time since March.  Hugged them, held them, man how they have grown.  Another few months of life gone with them.

Know how I did it, I found out they had a stomach bug last week when I called to see them.  Seems like Dad still works in factory and probably brought it home to them.  Not much quarantine there.  Just confirmed with a ER doc, there is a gut bug going around too now. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Terrierman said:

I notice how the places I go to buy things handle their interactions with customers.  Cannot tell until you are there, but... the places that are taking reasonable steps - masks for staff, cleaning carts, putting up those plexiglass barriers etc. are the ones I'll go back to.  The ones that basically say you're on your own?  No thanks for next week.  Very noticeable differences in that down here.

Its a good show, but I deal with customers on a one to one basis every day, face to face.  Distance and cleanliness is the only thing that really matters.

I have never been a hugger or a close type of person.  I have always practiced social distancing, I have my space, here it is.  And if you carry, its called draw time.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jdmidwest said:

Growing up on a full fledged, self sufficient farm, I went thru extensive allergy testing at age 8 and shots till I was 15.  But Dad was a smoker and I really blame all of that on him.  Had the smoke not invaded my young lungs, I probably would have not suffered my youth.  He quit when the Allergist at LeBonheur in Memphis suggested that some of that smoking may be part of it.  I will never know if it was the cause or the extensive shots I took that cured me.  But smoke still kills me, I tend to avoid it whenever possible.

 

I can't for the life of me understand people that will sit around a campfire, stand over a barrel of burning trash with a poker stick, burn leaves and tend to a controlled burn or brush fire on their property for hours, stand in a kitchen full of smoke after someone over toasted a pizza, ect

but then somebody 20' away from them lights a cigarette and immediately they go into respiratory distress.    

I don't care what you say, that is mental illness.  It's all in your head because the "tobacco is evil" thing has effectively programmed your brain.    I'm certainly not saying it's good for you, and I'm not saying it's harmless. But for crying out loud be reasonable about it !  

I smoke in our kitchen, and my wife bitches about it all the time....but then she'll sit cross-legged over a open bottle of acetone for 30 minutes, and stand in the bathroom in a dense cloud of hairspray fallout.....and that doesn't bother her one bit. GTFOH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

I can't for the life of me understand people that will sit around a campfire, stand over a barrel of burning trash with a poker stick, burn leaves and tend to a controlled burn or brush fire on their property for hours, stand in a kitchen full of smoke after someone over toasted a pizza, ect

but then somebody 20' away from them lights a cigarette and immediately they go into respiratory distress.    

I don't care what you say, that is mental illness.  It's all in your head because the "tobacco is evil" thing has effectively programmed your brain.    I'm certainly not saying it's good for you, and I'm not saying it's harmless. But for crying out loud be reasonable about it !  

I smoke in our kitchen, and my wife bitches about it all the time....but then she'll sit cross-legged over a open bottle of acetone for 30 minutes, and stand in the bathroom in a dense cloud of hairspray fallout.....and that doesn't bother her one bit. GTFOH!

Scared people are easily manipulated.  "They" have done a pretty good job on this one.  I am not saying it is a bad thing in this case.  They have done the same thing with seat belts.  Once again, not a bad thing.  I am just pointing out how the government can manipulate the majority of the population over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.