Old 86

Fishrman

• Members

Was it muddy up there?  I fished Baxter to Campbell area and it was pretty muddy heading upriver.  We turned around and fished back other direction without any luck.  Broke pull up cable on new ultrex to call it a day. 

2 hours ago, jmcarrol said:

Was it muddy up there?  I fished Baxter to Campbell area and it was pretty muddy heading upriver.  We turned around and fished back other direction without any luck.  Broke pull up cable on new ultrex to call it a day. 

Done that before on my Fortrex.  Almost fell backwards into the cockpit.  If my next TM is a Minnkota product, first thing I am going to do is replace that nylon cable with the steel cable version.  

FWIW, you can buy these handles at Tractor Supply, Orschelens, and other hardware stores for about $10 and make your own cable handle for less than half the price of a G-Force handle. I have a G-force on my bass boat, but a homemade cable on my johnboat, they both work just as good. It looks and feels exactly like a G-force handle.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/17616300823499336790?q=start+it+up+handle&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ACYBGNQ4KXBKlVajjXbP6X5ckFAa-h5iwQ:1580723826596&biw=1280&bih=910&prds=epd:3432558141460694773,prmr:3&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSwICTj7XnAhVJXc0KHcZPDpUQ8wIIlgM

11 hours ago, Champ188 said:

I went to Home Depot, got some nylon-sheathed cable and some aluminum cable crimps, and made my own. Been working like a charm for 5 years or more. 

That is exactly what I did, was a bear getring it all into the eight place but works fabulously.

21 hours ago, jmcarrol said:

When I got my Ultrex I immediately bought the G Force.  When I cut the original cable out it was steel.  My buddies is nylon though.