OzarkAnglers.Com Forum
jdmidwest

2020 Garden Thread.

5 minutes ago, tjm said:

Yep that's what I expected to find, but it was gone when I went out to see.  We had lots of them around the house when I was a kid, but I haven't seen one for many years.   I don't have garter snakes here either, and they were thick everywhere when I was a youngster. 

Around our place it's pretty much all black snakes, ringnecks, copperheads. With the occasional speckled King snake and hog nose.   Had a rather large, fat, solid gray snake get away from me earlier this spring.  Not sure what he/she was.  Looked like a Boa to be honest.....and a neighbor had a couple of those at one time so it's a definite possibility.

Pat picked again this morning before she went to work. This bunch and then not pictured is half this much from past picking. I unloaded the dehydrator and sliced and reloaded it. I would say this has been our best tomato year so far.

thumbnail_0729200636_HDR.jpgthumbnail_0729200654.jpg   Going to make rounds this morning and do some giveaways .

9 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

they were thick everywhere when I was a youngster. 

All the snakes are more scarce than in the 50-60s and even in the '80s, we have an overabundance of hawks and eagles that feast on snakes

Good Grief! Another picking this morning. Cherry tomatoes are manageable. Big tomatoes not so much. Still dehydrating and giving away. More salsa making tomorrow. Picked the remaining cucumbers today and Pat pulled the vines so we can prepare to plant Fall Bok Choy. 

thumbnail_0801201105.jpgthumbnail_0801201105a.jpgthumbnail_0801201131.jpgthumbnail_0801201433.jpg

It has been a good year for the garden and still some season left. As I type this jars are sterilizing and real quick we will putting together bread and butter pickles to water bath can.