Trout park tackle restrictions--any rhyme or reason?

Flyfisher for men

50 minutes ago, laker67 said:

Used to be that way and I spent most of late summer in z3. About the time that our favorite hatchery manager took office, it was changed to "nothing permanently attached to a hook" was legal in z3. And that included super  glue. 

Maybe cut some elastec strips and fish them like a worm or egg.  With a barb that stuff stays put.  

6 hours ago, Flyfisher for men said:

Along the lines of what you say, though, tackle restrictions can, in theory, promote a good experience. e.g. "Fly only" to promote catch and release or to give fly rodders plenty of room for their casting by directing bait fisherman to another area of a park.  

Just creates  a "safe space" for the shy folks,  I've opposed fly only zones for many years. The bait only area at BSSP makes more sense, especially if spinning gear is "fly fishing".  The canal at RRSP is optimized for spin fishing, except the C&R stretch and only in Z3 is there anything like true fly fishing with the stream wild.

6 hours ago, Seth said:

Maramec doesn't have any restrictions. The bait soakers fish right next to the fly fishermen.

The bait folks probably say they get run over and crowded by the fly line types. 

11 hours ago, tjm said:

Just creates  a "safe space" for the shy folks, 

anything like true fly fishing with the stream wild.

The bait folks probably say they get run over and crowded by the fly line types. 

All of these qualify for what I'm thinking---I used to the phrase "good experience" earlier, and that might not be the best choice of words.

What the restrictions can do is promote "different strokes for different folks,"  offer something reasonably pleasant for a varied group of users, make a body of water more fishable for different groups, etc. 

2 hours ago, Flyfisher for men said:

restrictions can do is promote 

Restrictions can only restrict. Restrictions can never promote anything. 

23 hours ago, Seth said:

I don't think Maramec is nearly as long as the other parks so I don't think there is really enough space to do the zoning. That's what I've always heard anyways.

I overlooked this. 

Now that you mention it, I think I may have heard that somewhere along the line. It makes sense. 

9 minutes ago, Flyfisher for men said:

Do you have any insight into the reasons for the variances in the regulations

On 3/16/2020 at 9:29 PM, tjm said:

Probably results of surveys conducted 50 years ago or the whim of some long gone Superintendent? The trout program is tailored to the customer balancing happy users against cost.

The size, length and flow in each Park are also factors.

But you can get a definitive answer by email https://mdc.mo.gov/contact-engage/contact-us

MDC has lots of folks working in Jeff City that specialize in researching such questions, I usually hear back within a couple days on anything I ask. 

12 minutes ago, tjm said:

The size, length and flow in each Park are also factors.

But you can get a definitive answer by email https://mdc.mo.gov/contact-engage/contact-us

MDC has lots of folks working in Jeff City that specialize in researching such questions, I usually hear back within a couple days on anything I ask. 

Thanks for the link. A message sent to them.

I believe I read that Maramec Springs length is a mile long. Montauk is around three miles. I am not sure about BSSP or Roaring river but I do remember reading it somewhere.

Bill