Heads up!

Sore Thumbs

I remember the good old days when flood control was the focus of the white river chain. TR used to be brought down to 905-907 during the winter in anticipation of spring rains.TR up 7' in one week, so at 907 (aka 'good old days') to begin........Wonder what's changed? Hmmmm.........wake boarders & 40' cruisers?

9 hours ago, BrowningCollector.com said:

I remember the good old days when flood control was the focus of the white river chain. TR used to be brought down to 905-907 during the winter in anticipation of spring rains.TR up 7' in one week, so at 907 (aka 'good old days') to begin........Wonder what's changed? Hmmmm.........wake boarders & 40' cruisers?

Politicians sold the water to electric companies.....or the electric companies paid the politicians

1 hour ago, dblades said:

Politicians sold the water to electric companies.....or the electric companies paid the politicians

ding ding ding, we have a winner

The COE still claim flood control as their mission, but they sure do hang onto the water more than they used to since those electrons the dams make became more valuable...

11 hours ago, BrowningCollector.com said:

well, i have asked that question for a few decades now, and i pinned the corp folks down at one of the planning meetings.  their answer was that the white river chain of lakes are no longer flood control lakes.  they have been changed to power generation lakes by congress.  he suggested that we might take it up with our congressional people.

now one can understand why they don't care if business owners starve each year because there is little business going on related to lake use.  it would be nice to get them to give us a print out of monies collected from the power as opposed to the tax revenues lost to actual business losses.

bo

1 hour ago, merc1997 said:

well, i have asked that question for a few decades now, and i pinned the corp folks down at one of the planning meetings.  their answer was that the white river chain of lakes are no longer flood control lakes.  they have been changed to power generation lakes by congress.  he suggested that we might take it up with our congressional people.

bo

It's not the local Corp folks. They simply turn the switch on & off when Little Rock tells them and they do what the politicians tell them to. When the hangers are full at Branson West airport w/ private jets and planes along with a $26,000,0000 parking lot going in it makes me believe there's more than just selling electricity. No doubt $ for electricity plays a part also, but "vested interests" play a role also. Flood control? We don't need no stinking flood control.

You know I used to get in the middle of these Corps arguments all the time but since I've been retired for seven years now (wow - that's hard to believe) I've been staying out of 'em for quite a while as what I know/knew might not be all that pertinent anymore.

That being said, one thing that I DO know to still be accurate is that the Corps does not create policy.  

That's done and dictated totally by congress and the Corps just does what its told.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

6 hours ago, merc1997 said:

now one can understand why they don't care if business owners starve each year because there is little business going on related to lake use.  it would be nice to get them to give us a print out of monies collected from the power as opposed to the tax revenues lost to actual business losses.

bo

Anywhere in print that the lakes are now power generation first, flood control second? I totally believe this to be the case, but id like to see it in print. It seems as if that would change some things as far as insurance for folks in the floodplain areas, as well as along taneycomo...