Like Deer Hunting

oneshot

47 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I've never cared much for wild turkey meat.  I've never eaten crow or buzzard but I doubt that anyone could tell the difference between either of those and a wild turkey, once cooked. 

Wild turkey is delicious, way too many people cook it to death, buttermilk, lightly seasoned and just cooked done, no more.  Crow ain't bad but about like pigeon or dove.  Sandhill Crane however is delicious almost like beef.  But a mess of crappie fillets and if lucky a few morels to me are still better.  Best thing about turkey hunting was just getting out and finding a few morels.  I can remember some darn cold mornings walking through frosted grass in tennis shoes when younger in search of them, now that there are a lot more of them I don't hunt them.  Go figure, and I cant even blame it on my wife like I can deer hunting as she doesn't turkey hunt.

2 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

I've never cared much for wild turkey meat.  I've never eaten crow or buzzard but I doubt that anyone could tell the difference between either of those and a wild turkey, once cooked. 

Lots of guys just eat the Breast but we eat every bit.

Turkey was the only thing I hunted for fun.

oneshot

Oh I hate to bring this up. I helped the MDC stock Turkeys in early’80’s people were killing Thousands of Egg Suckers and Turkeys did good. Since the Fur Market went to pot Turkeys have declined to the point you don’t see them Strutting in the fields and Gobbling all day.

Now nothing!

oneshot

I was 15 before I saw my first wild turkey.  The bird hunters from the area I grew up in were pissed about them "introducing" turkeys into the area, claimed they would eat all the quail eggs.   

It wasn't long after that the quail population did indeed take a nosedive.....but I don't think it was the turkeys that did it.  

I think they’re fun to hunt...probably enjoy it more than duck hunting.  Weather is sure a lot better

i agree with oneshot...I don’t think there are near as many around as there was 10 or 15 years ago.  Never attributed it to coons eating the eggs...but I guess that makes sense

Not as many as there were 10 years ago here, but still plenty.  Deer population has taken a hard hit here from folks taking advantage of the CWD season, and some others who just kill them for fun ithink.  I think the increases in coons, skunks, and possums have been hard on the population of turkeys, plus a few bad springs, but the crappie population is excellent!  Doesn't help me any right now, but it's good.

Since most turkeys are between 1 and 5 years of age, a few bad springs with flooding or freezing temps during the laying period can put a hurt on the populations. Add in that raccoons and possums are likely to eat their eggs and bobcats and foxes eat the poults and it doesn't take long for the woods to be silent in the spring.