Herbs in your garden

BilletHead

So what is the perennial herbs you have  in your garden? 

So we have sage. I do dry some but it takes winter really well. At thanksgiving and Christmas I have picked it and used it fresh. Strange I know but it works. Then Oregano. We have two types.

Mexican thumbnail_0424201123.jpg   And I guess regular. It started many years ago as a single plant I cannot remember the exact type.thumbnail_0424201031.jpg   It can get quite invasive as you can see. I had orders this morning to do some trimming and dehydrating of it. I hardly put a dent in it but will be an ongoing process. A weed eater does wonders and is Pat's favorite method of control :) .  So my bender over does not work so well I got a stool and began trimming.thumbnail_0424201036.jpg     Inside for a swish in a sink of water to get off anything not wanted. Then started loading dehydrator trays.  I used to just tear of each leaf to do this. half of them fell through the trays. Decided to try a couple other methods today. On some trays I placed  the whole stem. Then when dry I could roll stem over bowl letting leaves fall and discard stem. Then some I cut the stem sections off between the opposing leaves. I am liking this better. Can get more on each tray. We will see how that goes.thumbnail_0424201058.jpgthumbnail_0424201113.jpg     Then loaded up the dehydrator. thumbnail_0424201113a.jpg      Other herbs are lemon thyme and German thyme.thumbnail_0424201124.jpgthumbnail_0424201124a.jpg    Pretty hardy stuff too. The one in the tub has gone two years and roots take the freeze. During season we use everything fresh. I may try to dehydrate some of the thyme this year. Then we have some garlic chives. You need to control this too as it can spread fast. thumbnail_0424201125.jpg    I have tried to dehydrate it but it just doesn't seem to dry out. Not sure if it has an oil in it or the skin on leaves will not let the moisture out?  

I know you can go to store and get this stuff in a convenient jar of bottle but just like homegrown tomatoes it does not compare in my opinion. We will buy annual herbs like basil and rosemary and put in pots to use fresh and dehydrate.    Have some mint also. In flower bed behind house. Really invasive I have to go berserk on it from time to time. Everything is used fresh during season.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Looking good, @BilletHead

We usually grow one or all of these: rosemary, sage, oregano, marjoram, thyme, parsley and basil in pots each year. Kinda like the low maintenance of the pots, but they need to be refilled and replanted every year. 

John