Future Crappie fishing at Stockton lake

olfishead

My partner and I caught limits of good-size crappie last Monday, the 11th.  It rained the rest of the week so we haven't been since.  We haven't found crappie up by the banks at all this year, we're just slow-trolling in 13-14 f.o.w. and catching mostly males.  Some of the tails are worn, and we're wondering if we're taking some of them off the nests - even that deep.

Out of 30 keepers we only had 5 females and their eggs were nowhere near ready.  It didn't appear that any had spawned out or were re-absorbing eggs, the eggs were just very immature like it was still early April.  We sure don't have it all figured out.

I think Stockton crappie fishing is going to be OK for the next few years.  On this trip we caught and released a whole bunch of short crappie - I think we must have caught 50+ fish to keep 30, and we even had a couple of crappie as short as 5".  The ones we kept were real nice, averaging 11" with a couple over 13".  Again, we caught almost all white crappie with only 2 or 3 black crappie that were long enough to keep.

We didn't catch any keeper walleyes that trip, but we caught and released 5 little-bitty ones, only 8"-10" long - so that's got to be good for the future.  We're going again this Monday.

Good news, good report! What part of the lake? Yes, I think a lot of the fish are spawning at that 10 ft. Depth (before this weeks deluge) at least in the clearer water part of the lake.

11 hours ago, olfishead said:

Good news, good report! What part of the lake? Yes, I think a lot of the fish are spawning at that 10 ft. Depth (before this weeks deluge) at least in the clearer water part of the lake.

Mid-lake.  Yes, the water was pretty clear but that was before 5 or 6 days of rain.  I don't know how it will be tomorrow.

11 hours ago, MrGiggles said:

Went tonight. Crappie bite is still excellent. Walleyes, not so much, one short was all.

Water temps still sitting at 62 or so, pretty clear from Masters on up. 

How far up did you go?  Did you get above HighPoint?

10 minutes ago, Dutch said:

How far up did you go?  Did you get above HighPoint?

When I say up, I meant towards the dam. The whole up on a map vs upstream and downstream is confusing to me.

I did go to the 245 bridge, it was dirty but not bad.

-Austin

Thanks for clarifying that.  I hear lots of guys talking about up by the dam.  I assumed that they were talking up as north instead of up stream.  

I plan to go to State Park Tuesday and am looking for clear water to try out my new jigs so I guess I will work my way towards the dam.  

Just got back.  We went today out of Cedar Ridge and fished Maze Creek mostly, trying to stay out of the wind and waves.  Cloudy, chilly, and windy.  Water temps 63-64 and the water was very clear - we could see every detail of stumps down to 5 or 6 feet even on this cloudy day.

We caught 24 white crappie, no black crappie, and all but two were males.  Of the two females, one had eggs ready to lay and the other's eggs were not good and were being re-absorbed.  Both of the females were small fish, just over 10".  Unlike last week when we caught 50+ total crappie to get 30 keepers, we caught NO short crappie today.  Some of the white crappie males were real nice, and the largest was 14".  We also caught one short walleye, one 19-inch walleye, and caught/released some good-size bass.  Pretty sure one of the bass was a "meanmouth" - spotted bass / smallmouth bass hybrid.

None of the male crappie we caught today had worn-down tails, so we can't figure if we're catching them off nests or not.  The fish are real scattered, not grouped up at all just singles here and there.  Also, we still can't find the female crappie - we tried some brushpiles in 20-25 feet of water thinking they must be there, but nada.

Every fishing trip is different, and this one was a lot different from last week.

We are heading up on Wed morning to give it a shot.  I normally stay on the south end of the lake but Im affraid how dirty it may be by then.  Who knows, I may have to vernture north to untouched, by me, waters. Lol I am clueless up there!!!