All about Square Bills

Mitch f

9 hours ago, TrophyFishR said:

I forgot about that one Mitch. Do you know the diving depth? I know the 1.5 runs about 5-7ft deep

I can’t find the depth call out anywhere

145FC4B8-1B12-4C66-B4AF-F32E2B2F74E0.png

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

I've thrown that deep 1.5 a few times, no luck . Gave it to a buddy ,maybe he can catch something on it.

The xcalibur square bills are nice. Probably my favorite brand with the matte finish craw patterns. Quality components right out if the box.  I just got some new Strike King square bills to paint and they have different,stronger factory hooks. The shanks even look shorter to me. Still, I swapped them out for ewgs.  The 8.0 is one of the most underrated square bills out there imo. it's my go to plug when I want to match a big ol gill. It's a big ol bait and it has tremendous wobble. I recommend 14-17 lb test and a 7'3" mh xfast rod. Same rod I flip and pitch with. The extra fast tip you can feel the bites so much better than a fast or moderate fast that seems to just cushion the bait too much.

I fish Bull Shoals a lot and catch lots of bass on sb cranks in the clear water. It's a good search bait for open water suspended fish that are cruising the upper water column. And recently I've been using a modified version of the 2.5 SK in the brush. 

On 5/8/2020 at 10:01 AM, snagged in outlet 3 said:

I do.  I don't like the KVD 1.5's.  I like the hooks and the oval split ring is the monkey dodo.  I've actually never caught a fish on them.  Take it off put on a bandit and it's on.  The 3 years have been outstanding for square bills for me.  Red Craw, brown/orange and that fall craw are deadly for me.  

Bandits do really well in current, don't as blow out easy. They have a little tighter wobble, too.

11 hours ago, Mitch f said:

IIRC 1.5 runs 3-5ft.

On 5/10/2020 at 7:14 AM, Mitch f said:

145FC4B8-1B12-4C66-B4AF-F32E2B2F74E0.png

10 feet according to TW.  

Bomber made a Fat Free Shad Deep Diving square bill that came in 2 models.  I think one runs at 4-7 feet and the other 10-14.  Don't believe they make them anymore.  I have some and have caught fish on them.