Missour River 2020

45acp

I've fished the Mississippi a handful of times and we always caught fish. The Missouri is far more hit or miss and the water is a lot faster. It also seemed like anywhere within 10 miles of an access or river confluence was full of set lines and I'm sure that takes its toll on the number of decent fish over time.

49 minutes ago, fishinwrench said:

I consider myself a highly experienced boater with lots of time on the Miss. but the Mo. River (in the streches that would be good fishing) makes me feel uneasy.   This state is loaded with excellent places to catch big catfish, be darn if I'd choose that one.

Guessing you wouldn't want to put in about 4:00 AM on a windy December morning then?  Even to shoot a few ducks?

1 hour ago, fishinwrench said:

I consider myself a highly experienced boater with lots of time on the Miss. but the Mo. River (in the streches that would be good fishing) makes me feel uneasy.   This state is loaded with excellent places to catch big catfish, be darn if I'd choose that one.

that area in front of the arch is narrow with a lot of barge traffic, bridge piling and the breasting dolphins up and down stream from there.

I spent some time on the Mokane to Hermann stretch, caught some nice channels, flatheads, but never got into any blues, and never found any hybrids or white bass (which is what I was actually there for).   That's a tretcherous piece of water.

Then I got a "hot tip" about some big hybrids along some railroad rip-rap near Booneville so we spent 3 days getting skunked around there.    The river is considerably tamer there.... but it's just ugly.    

I did the MR340 in a 17ft. aluminum canoe along the Mo. outside of a handful of spots I never felt overly concerned. Crossing the current seam from the Kaw river to the Mo with hundreds of other boats, a handful of barges, lisbon bottoms, and a lightning strike around Chamois that was too close for comfort all had me alert but I never felt in danger. Granted the river was cooking along and if I would have dumped it would have been a nightmare to get back in and going but I never really felt close to tipping. The most nerve racking thing by far was paddling at night and the boils but I don't think there was any inherent danger in them. 

Its kind of got me wanting to run back up and catfish thinking about it now. Like all water it can be dangerous but I've felt much more in danger paddling in class 3 whitewater.