TR Lake Level going forward

bobby b.

Mojo....quick question since I think you understand this.....in the control plan for Beaver: Above or predicted to exceed 1130, the Criteria is to pass through inflows(although it says subject to use of surcharge storage to reduce peak discharges and delay inflow to table rock). My understanding of this is that A. as the gates are raised the natural water level can rise and therefore we see levels that are essentially higher than what we think is the limit(we actually saw this with Table Rock when it hit 936' years back). Is there a published number for each dam that is actually "peak level" for surcharge storage? As I recall at some level the water gets extremely close to the electric motors used to raise and lower gates and therefore keeping them dry would maybe define that critical level. It appears the level for Table Rock may be in that 936' or 938' range but curious as to the actual number of critically for all 3 dams. Obviously adding 5-6' adds additional enormous volumes of water and allows the spread of the peak inflows out to avoid massive releases in the case of trying to match outflow to inflow. It effectively gives the ability to gives even more buffer than the publish top of flood pool.

In addition both TRL and BS both list the top of flood pool criteria as: Regulate to obtain the most effective flood modification with the designated surcharge storage space. This seems slightly arbitrary to me. The water control plan is very defined and run to a pretty strict level but then in the case of surcharge flood pool we lose the definitions. Is/Are those guidelines available somewhere? I would assume its not a feel thing but there has to be some guidelines. I would also assume rules like not making releases due to forecast go out the window. 

9 hours ago, dtrs5kprs said:

Yeah. You did some of your best work this month.

I'm a giver.......

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

"The only money ever wasted is money never spent."  Me.

When it comes to the weather nobody can accuse me of half azzing anything.

You see, I have these skills........

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."  George Carlin

There is a level, top of the gates, that they will not allow the water level to exceed, as you mentioned it has to do with rotting the components.  The only way the lake can rise with the gates open further is for there to be more inflow that outflow.  I haven't read the TR corolla plan so o am not familiar with the actual numbers but they won't let it go over the top of the gates.  If memory serves they could pass over 500,000 CFS with the gates full open, that morw than the normal flow of the Mississupport at StL, so they have the ability to send a LOT of water down the White River, don't think we will see that kind of flow unless it is the absolute worst of circumstances, at least let's hope not, Taneycomo would be BIG and a lot of houses would be wet.

1 minute ago, dblades said:

Just wait till they have to use that new spillway.....

I sure hope not.

Buh-bye Landing if that ever happens.

20 minutes ago, dblades said:

Just wait till they have to use that new spillway.....

That's what has me confused on why it was added. 500,000 represents double the max inflow that has been recorded in the history of Table Rock Lake. Were talking about flood water down the james/kings orders of magnitude larger than they ever have ran.

Which begs the question.....If Table Rock is the last dam to fill based on the current water control plan(which it is) the only conceivable use of the auxiliary spillway  would be in situations when Bull Shoals was already nearly at the top of its spillway. 

Conceivably the auxiliary spillway would only be used if the the capacity of the first was not enough right? So wouldn't that in theory threaten a Bull Shoals too?

931 is going to happen if all the rain predicted daily thru 5/28 hits us since we have this saturated soil over the entire drainage area.  .90" at Baxter so far at 0900 5/22 and a lot more seen on the radar coming up from the SW.  If they cannot release water from Bull due to downstream high water on the White and the lower Mississippi then TR is going to have to be the catch basin.  Another good fry survival year ?