Another Memorable Evening

My trip started off with my first ever stop at Lilley's Landing for some Maribou jigs. Really not sure why I hadn't been in there sooner. I wanted to try some new color combinations and whoever the guy was that was working in the fly shop was super friendly and professional and I love the setup they've got. Grabbed a dozen jigs and off i headed to the dam.

First color was a sculpin and orange with an orange head. Had a nice fish on my 3rd or 4th cast but he shook off after a pretty weak hookset on my part.

Next I switched to the black and purple, about a dozen casts in and I hooked a beast. It was a big rainbow and after launching himself clear out of the water within the first 15 seconds of the fight, he spit the jig back at me...darn..

A little while later I switched over to a new jig I just started tying which is essentially a black bunny leach with a pinch of chartreuse bucktail on the belly..that brought the first rainbow to hand, an absolute beauty about 18"..

20200623_191545.jpg

Then it got dark and I noticed a gentleman up at the cable had landed two nice walleye on what looked like a jerkbait so i thought I'd switch over and swing for the fences...I tied on a purple shad colored Spro McStick that @Ryan Miloshewski had just gifted  me a few weeks back (what a nice guy). On the 2nd cast I closed the bail, made my first two jerks and the rod got heavy...some big headshakes on the way in and I thought I had a big walleye for sure. Clicked on my head lamp and found a porker of a rainbow skating in.. my first official 20+" trout on Taney @ 20-1/8"...and with a gut to match..he splashed off to fight another day

20200623_211813.jpg

I'm not sure what it is about Taneycomo that draws me back there over and over again. I'm not from Missouri so I don't have any deep childhood ties or long history with it but it just feels like God meant to move me to Missouri just so I could fish this little stretch of water. I have such great memories just in the past 4 years of fishing mornings, evenings, winters, summers catching multiple different species not to mention all the folks I've met there that have helped me improve as an angler. It's truly a special place. Not many places like it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this short novel 😊

Nice report man,  

That's a chunk bow for sure.  I totally get what you mean about Taney... I've fished a ton of other water in my short career as a trout fisherman, and there's just something special about it.

Keep those reports and texts coming in, and I'm looking forward to when we finally get to fish together. 

15 hours ago, MNtransplant said:

My trip started off with my first ever stop at Lilley's Landing for some Maribou jigs. Really not sure why I hadn't been in there sooner. I wanted to try some new color combinations and whoever the guy was that was working in the fly shop was super friendly and professional and I love the setup they've got. Grabbed a dozen jigs and off i headed to the dam.

First color was a sculpin and orange with an orange head. Had a nice fish on my 3rd or 4th cast but he shook off after a pretty weak hookset on my part.

Next I switched to the black and purple, about a dozen casts in and I hooked a beast. It was a big rainbow and after launching himself clear out of the water within the first 15 seconds of the fight, he spit the jig back at me...darn..

A little while later I switched over to a new jig I just started tying which is essentially a black bunny leach with a pinch of chartreuse bucktail on the belly..that brought the first rainbow to hand, an absolute beauty about 18"..

20200623_191545.jpg

Then it got dark and I noticed a gentleman up at the cable had landed two nice walleye on what looked like a jerkbait so i thought I'd switch over and swing for the fences...I tied on a purple shad colored Spro McStick that @Ryan Miloshewski had just gifted  me a few weeks back (what a nice guy). On the 2nd cast I closed the bail, made my first two jerks and the rod got heavy...some big headshakes on the way in and I thought I had a big walleye for sure. Clicked on my head lamp and found a porker of a rainbow skating in.. my first official 20+" trout on Taney @ 20-1/8"...and with a gut to match..he splashed off to fight another day

20200623_211813.jpg

I'm not sure what it is about Taneycomo that draws me back there over and over again. I'm not from Missouri so I don't have any deep childhood ties or long history with it but it just feels like God meant to move me to Missouri just so I could fish this little stretch of water. I have such great memories just in the past 4 years of fishing mornings, evenings, winters, summers catching multiple different species not to mention all the folks I've met there that have helped me improve as an angler. It's truly a special place. Not many places like it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this short novel 😊

Really is a special place... if it were closer I'd be divorced lol nice report ! Think it's time that a gathering of sorts take place on taney with all the regulars ... it would be something special

16 hours ago, trythisonemv said:

Really is a special place... if it were closer I'd be divorced lol nice report ! Think it's time that a gathering of sorts take place on taney with all the regulars ... it would be something special

A great idea!!! We've done Taney fest at Phil's, but maybe a summer event, and a winter event?  I'm game lol

14 hours ago, JestersHK said:

A great idea!!! We've done Taney fest at Phil's, but maybe a summer event, and a winter event?  I'm game lol

For sure... I come down every October as well. We should start a thread for this....

I'll start it