What speices

My partner, (fishing), caught this yesterday on the James river. This is the first year that I have seen them in the James.I have seen schools of them and I first thought they were large shad but later saw the large scales and the mouths. I'm not much on fish idenification but inquired to @BilletHead. He gave me his answer. after googling some I felt there were 2 possible choices. Thought I'd taike a poll of the OA experts. 

6EBB9F7B-0C64-4798-907B-BF3C2FF9E06C.JPG

The answer may not lie at the bottom of a glass, but you should always check

13 minutes ago, curtisce said:

My partner, (fishing), caught this yesterday on the James river. This is the first year that I have seen them in the James.I have seen schools of them and I first thought they were large shad but later saw the large scales and the mouths. I'm not much on fish idenification but inquired to @BilletHead. He gave me his answer. after googling some I felt there were 2 possible choices. Thought I'd taike a poll of the OA experts. 

6EBB9F7B-0C64-4798-907B-BF3C2FF9E06C.JPG

Just what I told you : )

This is going to make those multi species anglers jealous!   Actually see that fishes face. Looks like it is frowning. Those guys frown will look the same 🤣

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Well, it's definitely a carpsucker.  The only question is what species of carpsucker.  It's either a quillback or a highfin.  Given the depth of the body, I'm going to say highfin, which is cool, because they are a lot less common than quillbacks.

14 hours ago, fishinwrench said:

These ads make it really hard to follow a post.   This is probably why so many posts get hijacked around here. Screenshot_20200714-235252.png

How can we learn anything about carpsuckers and COVID19 with distractions like that?  😋

I get the same ads.  I think it’s a red teddy.😁

50 minutes ago, snagged in outlet 3 said:

Better wait for @Johnsfolly to chime in.  

Yes he would know. Lots to consider here. @Ham might know. Shape of fin and number of rays in each fin. @curtisce  did you by any chance count the rays in the anal fin? :) 

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

2 hours ago, BilletHead said:

Yes he would know. Lots to consider here. @Ham might know. Shape of fin and number of rays in each fin. @curtisce  did you by any chance count the rays in the anal fin? :) 

😳

The answer may not lie at the bottom of a glass, but you should always check